Time Dilation: Explaining the Basics for a Sci-Fi Story

In summary, when a person travels near the speed of light, they see events on Earth slow down for them.
CakeOrDeath?
Hi all.

I'm working on writing a sci-fi story and I'm really just getting into researching relativity and time dilation. I'm a layman, but the ideas excite me, so I'm trying to figure these things out the best I can.

Here is my hypothetical: Say someone were to have a vehicle that could travel the speed of light, and on the front of it, a video camera was affixed to relay the image to a television set in real time. The man in the light speed vehicle travels such a distance that he returns to find everyone 20 years older, while he has barely aged. 1) What do the observers watching the television see once the craft is traveling at light speed? Do they see exactly what the man in the vehicle is seeing? 2) Would the image keep going for all 20 years, and as these people aged they could keep watching the image of lightspeed travel?

Obviously, the scenario is ignoring the time it would take for the television image to be broadcast to the television. That would make things much more complicated. I think I know the answer to this question, but I want to run it by the people who know a thing or two.

Please explain in the simplest possible manner! Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, CakeOrDeath,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Relativity says you can't travel at the speed of light, so relativity doesn't have an answer to your question.

-Ben

But this is just a hypothetical. Besides, doesn't dilation occur at all high speeds? Even if you went half the speed of light, dilation would still occur, would it not?

CakeOrDeath? said:
But this is just a hypothetical. Besides, doesn't dilation occur at all high speeds? Even if you went half the speed of light, dilation would still occur, would it not?
Hi, CakeOrDeath. Welcome to PF. Just don't mention traveling at the speed of light or the point of view of a photon or you will get an answer like #2 and every other aspect of your question will be ignored :wink:

Lets say the traveller is traveling at a relative velocity that is some significant fraction of the speed of light, such that 10 years of proper time passes for him, while 20 years of proper time passes for the observers that stayed on Earth. Now if the traveller had a webcam inside his spaceship filming his everyday activities and transmitting them back to the Earth, then the transmitted film would look like a video being played back in slow motion (for most of the journey) as far as the Earth watchers are concerned. Eventually after about 15 years Earth time, the Earth observers would see the film speed up for the final few years of the travellers journey, but overall they only see a total of 10 years of the travellers life transmitted.

Now if the traveller was watching Earth events on his TV, then the film would appear to play in slow motion to the traveller and at the turnaround pint he will only have seen about 2 years of news events pass on his TV at his turnaround point (5 years on his clock) and when he turns around he immediately sees the Earth film speed up and he sees of 15 years of Earth news broadcasts pass in the final 5 years of his journey back, so that overall he sees 20 years of Earth life transmitted during his journey.

The figures above are not exact as I am too lazy at the moment to work out the Doppler shifts, but the general idea is correct. The important thing is that the traveller sees Earth events speed up as soon as he turns around, while the Earth observers are not even aware he has turned around until he nearly home and they only see a small portion of the travellers film speeded up at the end.

yulop, that is a fantastic answer and exactly the type of response I needed. Thanks a million!

Related to Time Dilation: Explaining the Basics for a Sci-Fi Story

1. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects moving at different speeds or in different gravitational fields. This means that time can appear to move slower for objects in motion or in stronger gravitational fields.

2. How does time dilation work?

Time dilation is a result of Einstein's theory of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity. According to this theory, time and space are relative and can be affected by an object's speed and gravity. The faster an object moves or the stronger the gravitational field it is in, the slower time will appear to pass for that object.

3. What is the difference between time dilation and time travel?

Time dilation is a real phenomenon that has been observed and measured in experiments. It is a result of the laws of physics and does not involve actually traveling through time. Time travel, on the other hand, is currently only possible in science fiction and is not supported by scientific evidence.

4. Can time dilation be reversed?

No, time dilation cannot be reversed. Once an object has experienced time dilation, it cannot "catch up" to the time of objects that were not affected by time dilation. This is because time dilation is a result of the fundamental laws of physics and cannot be reversed or manipulated.

5. How does time dilation affect space travel?

Time dilation has a significant impact on space travel, especially at high speeds. As objects approach the speed of light, time dilation becomes more pronounced, and astronauts will age slower than people on Earth. This means that astronauts on long space missions may return to Earth to find that more time has passed for everyone else, leading to the concept of "space-time twins".