Time Dilation at very slow speeds.

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem asking for the time difference between a stationary frame and a frame moving at 30m/s for 1 hour using binomial approximation. The user is having trouble solving the equation and has tried using Excel but is getting an answer that is not accepted. Another user points out a mistake in the equation and suggests using the binomial approximation. The original user resolves the issue and mentions a typo in their earlier post.
bayan

Homework Statement

Hi, I have a question which asks me to find the time difference (difference between a stationary frame and one that is moving at 30m/s for 1 hour) it has asked me to use binomial approximation and I am kind of lost as to what I need to do to solve the equation.

Homework Equations

τ=τ[itex]_{0}[/itex][1+(v[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2c[itex]^{2}[/itex])] obtained from here

The Attempt at a Solution

1hour is 3600S. I know how to do binomial but I can't figure out how to do this one. Any help would be appreciated. I've used excel with a lot of decimal points and got an answer of around 1.8x10^-11 but that answer is not accepted

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you dropped the factor of 2 in the denominator.

phyzguy said:
I think you dropped the factor of 2 in the denominator.

thanks for pointing that out, I have fixed the equation but still have the same problem

I also got 1.8*10^-11 seconds. I don't know why this is not accepted.

phyzguy said:
I also got 1.8*10^-11 seconds. I don't know why this is not accepted.

Have you used the binomial approximation? if so I will be complaining at uni tomorrow about the damn thing.

It has asked for 3 sig figures and I entered 1.82x10[itex]^{-11}[/itex] and usually it would accept it when its very close.

Solved now, problem with the marking system. btw just a typo in my earlier post with 1.82x10^−11, meant to be 1.80*10^-11

Related to Time Dilation at very slow speeds.

What is time dilation at very slow speeds?

Time dilation at very slow speeds is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object that is moving at a slower speed relative to another object. This is a consequence of the theory of relativity and is often observed in experiments involving particles moving at high speeds.

How does time dilation at very slow speeds occur?

Time dilation at very slow speeds occurs because the speed of light is constant and the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. As an object moves at higher speeds, it experiences a slowing of time relative to a stationary observer. This is known as time dilation.

What is the equation for time dilation at very slow speeds?

The equation for time dilation at very slow speeds is t' = t / √(1-v^2/c^2), where t' is the time experienced by a moving object, t is the time experienced by a stationary observer, v is the velocity of the moving object, and c is the speed of light.

What is an example of time dilation at very slow speeds?

An example of time dilation at very slow speeds is the twin paradox. In this scenario, one twin stays on Earth while the other twin travels in a spaceship at a high speed. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less due to time dilation.

How does time dilation at very slow speeds impact our daily lives?

Time dilation at very slow speeds has a negligible impact on our daily lives as the speeds we experience are not significant enough to cause a noticeable difference in time. However, it is an important concept in understanding the behavior of objects moving at high speeds and is used in various scientific fields such as astronomy and particle physics.