Time Dilation at ISCO for Kerr Black Holes

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of time dilation at the ISCO (innermost stable circular orbit) of a Kerr black hole. The formula for time dilation in general relativity is given, and then simplified for the ISCO. The challenge lies in calculating the angular velocity at the ISCO, which can be found in various resources such as the given link to a thread and a paper with equations for a stable orbit in Kerr metric.
Neutrinos02
Hello,

I like to calculate the time dilatation at the ISCO of a Kerr black hole:

According to general relativity the time dilation is given by following formula:

[tex]d \tau = \sqrt{g_{\mu \nu} \dot{x^{\mu}} \dot{x^{\nu}}}[/tex]

If I'm interestet in the time dilation at the ISCO I set [tex]\Theta = \frac{\pi}{2} , dr=0[/tex] so I get:

[tex]d\tau = \sqrt{g_{tt} + g_{\phi t} \dot{\phi} + g_{\phi \phi} \dot{\phi}^2} dt[/tex]

But now I need [tex]\dot{\phi}[/tex] at the ISCO of a Kerr black hole but I only know the angular momentum:

[tex]L= \frac{2mMar}{\rho²}sin²(\theta) \frac{dt}{d\tau}- \frac{m(r²+a²)²-m \Delta a²sin²(\theta)}{\rho²}sin²(\theta) \frac{d \phi}{d\tau}[/tex]

which includes only the derivation with respect to τ not t.

So how is it possible to calculate the angular velocity?

Thanks
Neutrino

Physics news on Phys.org
You might find this thread, and some of the links, useful-

Equation for time dilation of body in orbit around Kerr black hole?
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-body-in-orbit-around-kerr-black-hole.781691/

There's also some working out for the angular velocity equation for a stable orbit in Kerr metric in this paper-
http://www.roma1.infn.it/teongrav/leonardo/bh/bhcap4.pdf sect. 4.1.5 pages 82-84

Related to Time Dilation at ISCO for Kerr Black Holes

1. What is time dilation at ISCO for Kerr Black Holes?

Time dilation at ISCO (Innermost Stable Circular Orbit) for Kerr Black Holes is a phenomenon in which time appears to slow down for an external observer as an object approaches the event horizon of a rotating black hole. This is due to the intense gravitational pull of the black hole, which bends space-time and slows down the passage of time.

2. How does time dilation at ISCO affect objects and observers?

For an object approaching the ISCO of a Kerr Black Hole, time dilation means that time appears to pass more slowly. This can have significant effects on the object's motion and behavior, as well as on any observations made by external observers. Time dilation can also have implications for the accuracy of clocks and other timekeeping devices near a black hole.

3. What is the significance of time dilation at ISCO for Kerr Black Holes?

Time dilation at ISCO is significant because it is a direct consequence of the extreme gravitational effects of a Kerr Black Hole. It provides evidence for the validity of Einstein's theory of general relativity, as well as insights into the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of such intense gravitational fields.

4. How is time dilation at ISCO for Kerr Black Holes calculated?

The calculation of time dilation at ISCO for Kerr Black Holes involves complex mathematical equations and depends on various factors such as the mass, spin, and charge of the black hole, as well as the distance and velocity of the object in question. It also involves incorporating the principles of general relativity, which describe how gravity affects the passage of time.

5. Is time dilation at ISCO for Kerr Black Holes a universal phenomenon?

Yes, time dilation at ISCO for Kerr Black Holes is a universal phenomenon that occurs in any rotating black hole. However, the degree of time dilation may vary depending on the specific characteristics of the black hole and the object or observer in its vicinity. Additionally, time dilation at ISCO is not limited to Kerr Black Holes and can also occur in other types of black holes, such as non-rotating Schwarzschild Black Holes.