Time dilation and length contraction

I'm trying not to be too technical.In summary, time dilation and length contraction are both manifestations of the invariance of the speed of light and are connected geometrically through a construct called minkowski space. Lorentz transformations are symmetries of this space and the invariant, I, represents the combined measurement of the length of an object and the time between two events. This invariant remains unchanged under rotations or Lorentz transformations, demonstrating the link between time dilation and length contraction.
AdamBenHamo
I've recently been thinking more about special relativity, and while I understand the Lorentz factor and how to apply it to find correct solutions, I'm still stuck on the link between the effects of length contraction and time dilation, are they permutation of the same thing from different reference frames? How do they link together mathematically? Any light shed on this at all would be really helpful! Thanks in advance!

AdamBenHamo

Physics news on Phys.org
Time dilation and length contraction are both manifestations of the invarience of the speed of light.
That is how they are related. It's similar to regular/Galilean relativity only for 4D.

Time dilation and length contraction are connected geometrically, through a construct called minkowski space. Roughly speaking, you define this space by: ds^2 = -c^2dt^2 + dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2. Lorentz transformations are just symmetries in this mathematical picture (SO(1,3) symmetries, basically just rotations with some funky properties because minkowski space isn't exactly R^4*). Because they are symmetries of this space, then the length of any path computed in this space should be the same in two different reference frames.

This is often written like this:

I = -(cΔt)^2 + (Δx)^2

where I is invariant under Lorentz transformations. This might be a bit confusing, so I'll re-explain this from an angle you are likely to understand:

In R^3, you can compute the distance between two points using: ds^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2. This has a symmetry SO(3), or rotations in 3 dimensions. The distance:

I = (Δx)^2 + (Δy)^2 + (Δz)^2

Remains unchanged when you rotate it.

Physically, I (in special relativity) could be a combined measurement of the length of an object, and the time between two events. If you "rotate" this, or apply a Lorentz transformation to it, Δt and Δx will change. But since I is invariant under this, they must transform in a related way so that their sum stays the same.

* Technically, I should say "minkowski space isn't exactly R^4 with the usual metric"

Related to Time dilation and length contraction

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a concept in physics which states that the passage of time is relative and can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. It occurs when an object is moving at high speeds or in a strong gravitational field, causing time to pass slower for that object compared to a stationary observer.

How does time dilation affect the perception of time?

Time dilation can cause time to appear to pass slower for an object in motion compared to a stationary observer. This means that an object in motion will experience time at a slower rate, leading to a difference in the perception of time between the two observers.

What is length contraction?

Length contraction is a concept in physics which states that the length of an object appears shorter in the direction of its motion when viewed by an observer in a different frame of reference. This occurs due to the effects of time dilation, as the object's length is affected by the relative speed of the observer and the object.

How does length contraction differ from time dilation?

While time dilation affects the perception of time for an object in motion, length contraction affects the perceived length of the object. Time dilation is caused by differences in the passage of time, while length contraction is caused by differences in the measurement of length.

What are some real-world examples of time dilation and length contraction?

Some real-world examples of time dilation and length contraction include the effects of high speeds on atomic clocks, the differences in time perception for astronauts in space compared to people on Earth, and the length contraction of objects moving at high speeds in particle accelerators.