Time dependent expectation value problems

In summary, the homework statement states that there are equations for Sz and H that differ just by a multiplicative constant, but they commute. The Sz eigenstates are also energy eigenstates. The magnetic field is in the Bx direction.
BREAD

Homework Statement

upload_2017-3-21_20-44-19.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve (a), but i don't know which approach is right ((1) or (2)) and how to solve (b).[/B]
upload_2017-3-21_20-57-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-21_20-57-19.png
    upload_2017-3-21_20-57-19.png
    110.8 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't start the problem correctly. The ##|S_z = + \hbar/2 \rangle## state is not an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian, so after a time ##T_2##, the state of the system is not ##e^{-i E T_2 / \hbar} |S_z = + \hbar/2 \rangle##.

DrClaude said:
You don't start the problem correctly. The ##|S_z = + \hbar/2 \rangle## state is not an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian, so after a time ##T_2##, the state of the system is not ##e^{-i E T_2 / \hbar} |S_z = + \hbar/2 \rangle##.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
H=-(e/mc)S * B , Sz and H differ just by a multiplicative constant, so they commute. The Sz eigenstates are also energy eigenstates.
(* I tried to solve it Sz not Sx by mistake)

Last edited:
BREAD said:
H=-(e/mc)S * B , Sz and H differ just by a multiplicative constant, so they commute. The Sz eigenstates are also energy eigenstates.
In which direction is the magnetic field?

DrClaude said:
In which direction is the magnetic field?
In the problem, megnetic field is Bx direction.

BREAD said:
In the problem, megnetic field is Bx direction.
So how can you rewrite ##\mathbf{S} \cdot \mathbf{B}##?

DrClaude said:
So how can you rewrite ##\mathbf{S} \cdot \mathbf{B}##?
Sx * B

So no commuting with ##{\bf S}_z## !

Then how can i solve this problem. i would appreciate it if you can help me

You have to express the initial state in terms of the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian.

DrClaude said:
You have to express the initial state in terms of the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian.
upload_2017-3-22_22-9-13.png

I think it is not. Sx and H have same eigenstates, so the initial state l+> is lSx+> + lSx->

BREAD said:
Sx and H have same eigenstates, so the initial state l+> is lSx+> + lSx->
Don't forget the normalization factor.

But now that the state is expressed in terms of the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, it should be easy to calculate the time evolution.

DrClaude said:
Don't forget the normalization factor.

But now that the state is expressed in terms of the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, it should be easy to calculate the time evolution.
bpGR.dn.gif

I think the answer is weird. These are the probability for Sz + , and 1-cos(T2/h)(E1-E2) for Sz -
So, the expectation value h/2(1+cos(T2/h)(E1-E2)) and -h/2(1-cos(T2/h)(E1-E2)) respectively

Last edited:
BREAD said:
I think the answer is weird
Why? This is a very standard problem in QM and illustrates nicely the concept of precession.

DrClaude said:
Why? This is a very standard problem in QM and illustrates nicely the concept of precession.
I replied the answer that i tried

BREAD said:
I replied the answer that i tried
Ok, I had replied before you posted the solution.

There is a problem, as you can clearly see that the prbability you get ranges from 0 to 2. Check again how you calculate the absolute value squared.

DrClaude said:
Ok, I had replied before you posted the solution.

There is a problem, as you can clearly see that the prbability you get ranges from 0 to 2. Check again how you calculate the absolute value squared.
I got it, then how can i approach problem(b) i think the result of first measurement is same with (a)

Last edited:
BREAD said:
I got it, then how can i approach problem(b) i think the result of first measurement is same with (a)
The probability of measuring Sz = +ħ/2 is indeed given by the same equation, replacing T2 by T1. But you already know the measurement result, so you need to figure out what you get at T2.

By the way, you can simplify the result you get using explicit values for E1 and E2.

DrClaude said:
The probability of measuring Sz = +ħ/2 is indeed given by the same equation, replacing T2 by T1. But you already know the measurement result, so you need to figure out what you get at T2.

By the way, you can simplify the result you get using explicit values for E1 and E2.

Result of first measurement at T1 is the same with (a). I should have to get a probability of that state before i get a expectation value as i did in (a).
I think total result probability is probability(T1) * probability(T2)
bq69.dn.gif

Answer is quite complex, is it right??

I changed it again.
bq9e.dn.gif

Related to Time dependent expectation value problems

1. What are time dependent expectation value problems?

Time dependent expectation value problems are mathematical equations used to describe the behavior of a quantum mechanical system over time. They involve calculating the expected value of a physical quantity, such as position or momentum, at different points in time.

2. How are these problems solved?

Time dependent expectation value problems are typically solved using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. This equation involves using mathematical techniques, such as integration and differential equations, to find the time-dependent solutions.

3. What is the significance of solving these problems?

Solving time dependent expectation value problems allows us to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems over time. This is important in many fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering, as it helps us to design and develop new technologies and materials.

4. Can these problems be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, time dependent expectation value problems have many practical applications. For example, they can be used to model the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemical reactions, or the movement of electrons in electronic devices.

5. Are there any limitations to these problems?

One limitation is that time dependent expectation value problems are based on the assumption that a quantum system is in a pure state. In reality, many systems are in a mixed state, which can make the calculations more complex. Additionally, these problems may not accurately predict the behavior of systems at the quantum level, as quantum mechanics is still a developing field of study.