Time Dependent expectation value in momentum space

In summary, a particle of mass m in the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator can have an energy measurement of hω/2 or 3hω/2 with equal probabilities. The initial state of the particle is completely specified by an average momentum value of √mωh/2 at time t = 0. To find the expectation value of momentum, the momentum operator was changed into energy eigenstate lowering/raising operators and algebra was used. However, the result kept coming out to 0 due to the possibility of complex coefficients in the initial state wavefunction. Taking this into account, the expectation value of momentum was found to be √mωh/2.
spaderdabomb

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m in the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator is in a state for which a measurement of the energy yields the values hω/2 or 3hω/2, each with a probability of one-half. The average values of the momentum <p> at time t = 0 is √mωh/2. This information specifies the state of the particle completely. What is this state and what is <p> at time t?

Homework Equations

H|E> = E|E>
|ψ(0)> = 1/√2(|0>) + 1/√2(|1>)
p = -i√mωh/2(a - aτ)

The Attempt at a Solution

The first step of the problem (I thought) was basically verifying that the expectation value of momentum on the initial state should satisfy √mωh/2. I began doing this by doing <ψ(0)|p|ψ(0)>. I changed the momentum operator into the energy eigenstate lowering/raising operators then began cranking out the algebra.

At the end I kept getting 0, which is obviously wrong since the problem states it should be √mωh/2. Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong? I have a feeling it depends on how I made my |ψ (0)> (listed in relevant equations). Is there a phase I need to be worried about? If there is, I'm confused why I need to add in a phase to this problem, so an explanation of that would be nice =). Thanks.

(all h's are supposed to be hbars).

Physics news on Phys.org
The coefficients of |0> and |1> in |ψ(0)> need not be real. You can always choose an overall phase factor for the wavefunction to make one of the coefficients real, but you should allow for the other coefficient to be complex.

Ah thank you, I see it now =)

Related to Time Dependent expectation value in momentum space

1. What is the time dependent expectation value in momentum space?

The time dependent expectation value in momentum space is a quantum mechanical concept that describes the average value of a particle's momentum at a specific time. It takes into account the probability of the particle having different momenta and their corresponding weights.

2. How is the time dependent expectation value calculated in momentum space?

The time dependent expectation value in momentum space is calculated by multiplying the wave function in momentum space by the momentum operator, and then integrating over all possible momenta. This gives the average value of the particle's momentum at a specific time.

3. Can the time dependent expectation value change over time?

Yes, the time dependent expectation value in momentum space can change over time. This is because the wave function, which is used to calculate the expectation value, evolves over time according to the Schrödinger equation.

4. What does a higher time dependent expectation value indicate?

A higher time dependent expectation value in momentum space indicates that the particle is more likely to have a larger momentum at a specific time. However, it does not provide information about the exact momentum of the particle.

5. How does the time dependent expectation value in momentum space relate to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The time dependent expectation value in momentum space is related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, as it is used to calculate the uncertainty in a particle's momentum at a specific time. A smaller uncertainty in momentum corresponds to a higher time dependent expectation value, and vice versa.