Time Delay Relay: What is a D-O-D Timer & Glow Plug Timer?

In summary, a delay-on-dropout timer relay is a special type of timer that has a delay for when the contacts will go from off to no contact. This is used in special control or protection circuits.
Josh111
What is a Delay-On-Dropout-Timer relay. Is this what can be used for a glow plug timer?

Engineering news on Phys.org
From the sound of the description I would assume that when you energize the coil the contacts shift immediately. When you remove power from the coil the contacts don't shift until a predetermined time has elapsed.

It is an especial time relay which applied in special control or protection circuit. we usually aspect the relay dead situation when we deenergize its bobbin( or active part) immediately, but timer with drop off time delay have an inherent delay for reverse to dead condition( NO/NC contacts) after deenergizing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

Is there a terminology for a relay that will be on for a set period of time when the power turns on and then shuts off until the power is turned off and back on?

TDE = Time delay energize
TDD = Time delay de-energize

These terms harken back to the days of mechanical oil-flow electrical timers.

Modern timer relays are electronic & universal function. Omron is a major brand.
http://www.ia.omron.com/product/13.html

M

So TDD would be what I am looking for?

Are you looking for something like this?

http://www.macromatic.com/products/products.php?series=TR-606"

Last edited by a moderator:
An Omron H3CR-A can operate in any mode you might need. It's all in the data sheet. Make sure the timer you select will operate at the voltage of your system.
http://www.ia.omron.com/data_pdf/data_sheet/h3cr-a_ds_csm85.pdf"

You need to be careful, as a diesel engine's glow-plugs can pull pretty heft current (30A), much more than a timing relay's contacts are rated for. If so, then you need to have a slave high-current relay as well.

Or, just use a momentary push-button rated for the current required. Let the analog computer inside the ol' noggin do the timing. This is typical for glow-plugs. Available at your local auto-parts store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thornton why do I get the feeling you are connected with the company Omron? To the OP, industrial timers are pretty standardized. No need to go with a specific brand.

Averagesupernova said:
Thornton why do I get the feeling you are connected with the company Omron? To the OP, industrial timers are pretty standardized. No need to go with a specific brand.

No company connection
This brand is what we typically use at my work because they do the job, and available from my local electrical supplier. I was just trying to point out that modern timer relays are often universal function, using the linked item as an example.
My recommendation of using a simple push-button (for glow-plugs) is illustration of adherence to the KISS principal... no timer required at all.
M

MThornton said:
My recommendation of using a simple push-button (for glow-plugs) is illustration of adherence to the KISS principal... no timer required at all.
M

This would be my recomendation as well. A warm engine does not need glow plugs on as long as a cold one, that is if they need to be on at all.

Related to Time Delay Relay: What is a D-O-D Timer & Glow Plug Timer?

1. What is a time delay relay?

A time delay relay is an electrical component that is used to control the timing of an event or action in a circuit. It allows for a delay in the activation or deactivation of a circuit, which is useful in various applications such as controlling motors, lights, and other electrical devices.

2. What is a D-O-D timer?

A D-O-D timer, or "delay-on-delivery" timer, is a type of time delay relay that is commonly used in industrial settings. It is designed to provide a delay between the delivery of a signal and the activation of a circuit, which is useful for coordinating the operation of multiple devices.

3. What is a glow plug timer?

A glow plug timer is a type of time delay relay that is specifically used in diesel engines to control the glow plugs, which are used to heat the engine for easier starting. The timer provides a delay in activating the glow plugs, which helps to extend their lifespan and improve the overall performance of the engine.

4. How does a time delay relay work?

A time delay relay typically consists of a control circuit, a time delay circuit, and a load circuit. When a signal is received by the control circuit, it activates the time delay circuit, which then triggers the load circuit after a set amount of time has passed. This delay can be adjusted using the settings on the relay.

5. What are the applications of a time delay relay?

Time delay relays have a wide range of applications across various industries. They are commonly used in automation and control systems to coordinate the operation of multiple devices, in HVAC systems to control the timing of heating and cooling cycles, and in automotive systems to control the activation of various components such as lights and motors. They can also be used in safety systems to provide a delay in activating alarms or emergency shut-off switches.