Time between sound wave displacements

In summary: You can either solve for phi or find the value in a table. In summary, the student is trying to solve for the time and displacement for two different points in space using two equations. They are having trouble understanding why x and k re-appear if phi disappears. They need to find the starting phase and solve for phi in order to accommodate for the different starting point.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

tI2yrCp.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set up:

2.0 nm = (6.0 nm)cos(kx + (3000 rad/s)t1 + phi)
-2.0 nm = (6.0 nm)cos(kx + (3000 rad/s)t2 + phi)

My professor said if there's a phi you can usually ignore it so I'm just going to remove them:

2.0 nm = (6.0 nm) * cos(kx + (3000 rad/s)t1)
-2.0 nm = (6.0 nm) * cos(kx + (3000 rad/s)t2)

Simplify them:

1/3 nm = cos(kx + (3000 rad/s)t1)
-1/3 nm = cos(kx + (3000 rad/s)t2)

I need to solve for each time, but we have 3 unknowns and only two equations so I'm not sure what else to do from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you can do is set [itex]t_0[/itex] to zero. Then you can set [itex]x[/itex] to zero, too.

tms said:
One thing you can do is set [itex]t_0[/itex] to zero. Then you can set [itex]x[/itex] to zero, too.

But then we get

s = (6.0 nm) * cos(k*0 + (3000 rad/s)*0)
s = 6.0 nm * 1
s = 6.0 nm

I'm not sure how this helps

PhizKid said:
But then we get

s = (6.0 nm) * cos(k*0 + (3000 rad/s)*0)
You left out the phase constant.

Oh...I'm not sure when to include the phase constant or not because sometimes it seems negligible and when we are doing problems the professor just leaves it out. But doesn't that add another variable anyway?

s = (6.0 nm) * cos(phi)

Well, if you want to omit [itex]\phi[/itex], then stick [itex]x[/itex] back in. But then you'll have to worry about [itex]k[/itex], too.

tms said:
Well, if you want to omit [itex]\phi[/itex], then stick [itex]x[/itex] back in. But then you'll have to worry about [itex]k[/itex], too.

I don't understand this relationship. Why does x and k re-appear if phi disappears?

If you set your frame of reference so that x = 0 and t1 = 0, then you have to specify the starting phase through phi in order to get the required initial displacement 2.0 nm.

tms said:
I meant [itex]t_1[/itex].

how can I calculate the value of phi to accommodate for the different starting point?

The starting phase must be such that the 6.0 sin (phase) = 2.0. This follows directly form the description of the problem.

Related to Time between sound wave displacements

1. What is the definition of "time between sound wave displacements"?

The time between sound wave displacements refers to the time it takes for a sound wave to complete one full cycle, from its peak to its trough and back to its peak again.

2. Why is the time between sound wave displacements important?

The time between sound wave displacements is important because it determines the frequency of the sound wave, which affects the pitch of the sound. It also helps to measure the speed of sound and can be used to identify different types of sound waves.

3. How is the time between sound wave displacements measured?

The time between sound wave displacements can be measured using a variety of methods, such as using a stopwatch to measure the time it takes for a sound wave to travel a known distance, or using specialized equipment such as an oscilloscope or frequency analyzer.

4. What factors can affect the time between sound wave displacements?

The time between sound wave displacements can be affected by several factors, including the medium through which the sound wave is traveling, the temperature and humidity of the medium, and the frequency or amplitude of the sound wave itself.

5. Can the time between sound wave displacements be changed?

Yes, the time between sound wave displacements can be changed by altering the frequency or amplitude of the sound wave. It can also be affected by changes in the medium through which the sound wave is traveling, such as changes in temperature or humidity.