Time averages for a 2-dimensional harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses studying Ergodic Theory and the need for an example to verify the concept. The example given is the simplest possible 2D classical harmonic oscillator with kinetic and potential energy equations. The time averages of these quantities are found to be similar to the one-dimensional case. The solution for the equations of motion is suggested to be written down and integrals calculated to find the time averages.
Lo Scrondo
I'm studying Ergodic Theory and I think I "got" the concept, but I need an example to verify it...

Let's take the simplest possible 2D classical harmonic oscillator whose kinetic energy is $$T=\frac{\dot x^2}{2}+\frac{\dot y^2}{2}$$ and potential energy is $$U=\frac{ x^2}{2}+\frac{y^2}{2}$$.

I'd like to find the time averages of the two quantities. My intuition is that they arent't qualitatively different from the one-dimensional case, but I'd really welcome some help

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll find that the oscillator has harmonic solutions and then the time average is
$$\langle U \rangle=\frac{1}{T} \int_0^T \mathrm{d} t \frac{1}{2} (x^2+y^2),$$
where ##T## is the period of the harmonic motion, and analogously for the kinetic energy.

So just write down the general solution of your equations of motion and calculate the integrals. It's not too difficult.

Related to Time averages for a 2-dimensional harmonic oscillator

1. What is a 2-dimensional harmonic oscillator?

A 2-dimensional harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion in two dimensions, similar to a pendulum swinging back and forth. It is often used as a model to study the behavior of more complex systems in physics and engineering.

2. How is time average calculated for a 2-dimensional harmonic oscillator?

Time average for a 2-dimensional harmonic oscillator is calculated by taking the average of the position or velocity of the oscillator over a certain period of time. This is done by dividing the total displacement or velocity by the total time elapsed.

3. What factors affect the time average of a 2-dimensional harmonic oscillator?

The time average of a 2-dimensional harmonic oscillator is affected by the initial conditions of the system, such as the amplitude and phase of the oscillations, as well as any external forces or damping present in the system.

4. What is the relationship between time average and frequency for a 2-dimensional harmonic oscillator?

The time average and frequency of a 2-dimensional harmonic oscillator are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the time average decreases and vice versa. This relationship is known as the time-frequency uncertainty principle.

5. How is the concept of time average applied in real-world situations?

The concept of time average for a 2-dimensional harmonic oscillator is often applied in the study of oscillatory systems in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can also be used to analyze and predict the behavior of real-world systems that exhibit periodic motion, such as a swinging pendulum or a vibrating guitar string.