Tikz for parallelogram problem

In summary: The code shown in the link is attempting to draw the parallelogram using these coordinates. However, it is not clear why the tikz code did not render properly. It may be possible to post an impressive image on Linkedin by creating a correct version of the tikz code.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
https://mathhelpboards.com/threads/3-coordinates-of-parallelogram-stuv.6195/

this problem had over 6000 views so I was interest in posting it to Linkedin hoping it would recruit some new members

however it had a graph in the OP which has been deleted but another was posted using some code shown here

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/312510._xfImport

I am trying to redo this graph for post to Linkedin but not sure if I understand it
what is the (5,15) and the -9s
apparently this is an attempt to draw the parallelgram

nor sure why my tikz did not render probably don't need the dots just lines
anyway be nice to post something impressive on Linkedin of which I have received curiosity

my tikz code...
\begin{tikzpicture}[xscale=.5,yscale=.5]
\draw [thin] (-7,0) -- (8,0);
\draw [thin] (0,-2) -- (0,16);
\draw[thin][fill] (-2,-2) circle (.1);
\draw[thin][fill] (-1,-1) circle (.1);
\draw[thin][fill] (0,0) circle (.1);
\draw[thin][fill] (1,1) circle (.1);
\draw[thin][fill] (2,2) circle (.1);
\draw[thin][fill] (3,3) circle (.1);
\draw[thin][fill] (4,4) circle (.1);
\draw[thin][fill] (5,5) circle (.1);
\draw[thin][fill] (6,6) circle (.1);
\draw[thin][fill] (7,7) circle (.1);
\node
at (7.1,7) {T(7,7)};
\draw[thin][fill] (6,8) circle (.1);
\draw[thin][fill] (5,9) circle (.1);
\draw[thin][fill] (4,10) circle (.1);
\end{tikzpicture}​

Physics news on Phys.org
The (5,15) and the -9s refer to the coordinates of the points that make up the parallelogram. The first coordinate, 5, is the x-coordinate of one corner of the parallelogram and the 15 is the y-coordinate. The -9s refer to the x-coordinates of the other three corners of the parallelogram.

1. What is Tikz and how does it relate to parallelogram problems?

Tikz is a powerful tool for creating high-quality graphics and diagrams in LaTeX. It can be used to draw and manipulate shapes, including parallelograms, which are commonly used in geometry problems.

2. How do I draw a parallelogram using Tikz?

To draw a parallelogram in Tikz, you can use the "rectangle" or "diamond" shape commands and specify the appropriate coordinates for the corners of the parallelogram. You can also use the "path" command to draw a custom shape.

3. Can I label the sides and angles of a parallelogram in Tikz?

Yes, Tikz allows you to add labels and annotations to your drawings. You can use the "node" command to add text labels, and the "arc" command to draw angle measurements.

4. How can I solve a geometry problem involving a parallelogram using Tikz?

Tikz can be a useful tool for visualizing and solving geometry problems involving parallelograms. You can use the "intersections" library to find the coordinates of points where lines intersect, and the "calc" library to perform calculations on those coordinates.

5. Are there any resources or tutorials available for using Tikz in solving parallelogram problems?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials available for learning how to use Tikz for geometry problems. Some helpful websites include the Tikz and PGF manual, Overleaf tutorials, and various LaTeX forums and communities.