TikZ Challenge 2 - Function Graph

In summary, the conversation is about a challenge to create a function graph using TikZ. The picture must be submitted within two weeks, and it must be created using vanilla TikZ, the pgfplots package, or any other method. The creator must mention what makes their picture special and is not allowed to change the picture after submitting. The picture provided in the conversation is an example of a Folium of Descartes, using various methods from different contributors. The picture is appreciated for its representation of function analysis. The thread is now closed.
I like Serena
Homework Helper
MHB
Who can make the most impressive, interesting, or pretty TikZ picture?

This second challenge is to create a function graph.
We can use vanilla TikZ, or the pgfplots package, or... well... that's up to you!
If it's not immediately obvious, please mention what makes your picture special.

Please post your submission in this thread.
This thread will be closed after 2 weeks.
After that we will have 2 weeks to vote on what we think is the best TikZ contribution for this challenge.

Only 1 submission of a picture is allowed, and it is not allowed to change the picture after submission.
Any change to the picture itself will disqualify it.
(I'm leaving some wiggling room for editing the description.)
See http://mathhelpboards.com/tikz-pictures-63/tikz-announcement-22140.html for more information on how to create and post TikZ pictures.
To help create pictures we can use this http://35.164.211.156/tikz/tikzlive.html.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
\begin{tikzpicture}[scale=1.5]
\usetikzlibrary{arrows}
\draw[help lines] (-3.5,-3.5) grid (3.5,3.5);
\draw[<->, >=stealth'] (-3.5,0)--(3.5,0) node
{$x$};
\draw[<->, >=stealth'] (0,-3.5)--(0,3.5) node[above] {$y$};
\draw[ultra thick,blue,samples=200,domain=125:-35] plot(\x:{3*sin(\x)*cos(\x)/(sin(\x)^3+cos(\x)^3)})
node[above right] {$x^3+y^3-3axy=0$};
\draw[dashed] (1.5, 0) -- (1.5,1.5) -- (0,1.5);
\draw[dashed] (-3,2) -- (2,-3);
\draw[dashed] (-2,-2) -- (2,2);
\foreach \x/\xtext in {-3/-3a,-2/-2a,-1/-a,1/a,1.5/\frac 32a,2/2a,3/3a}
\draw (\x cm,1pt) -- (\x cm,-1pt) node[anchor=north,fill=white] {$\xtext$};
\foreach \y/\ytext in {-3/-3a,-2/-2a,-1/-a,1/a,1.5/\frac 32a,2/2a,3/3a}
\draw (1pt,\y cm) -- (-1pt,\y cm) node[anchor=east,fill=white] {$\ytext$};
\node[above,align=center,font=\bfseries] at (current bounding box.north) {Folium of Descartes};
\end{tikzpicture}
This picture uses:
  1. greg1313's method to add a title,
  2. lfdahl's method to add tick labels,
  3. MarkFL's method to add axis labels,
  4. Evgeny.Makarov's method to add neat arrow heads.
I like this picture because it represents the summum as I know it of function analysis (finding zeroes, extremes, singularities, asymptotes, and symmetries).

My credo, there's nothing wrong with stealing as long as we do it right (and learn from it)! (Bigsmile)​

Time is up.

Since there is only 1 submission, there's no point in voting.
Hopefully there will be more contributors next time.

Thread closed.

Related to TikZ Challenge 2 - Function Graph

1. What is TikZ Challenge 2 - Function Graph?

TikZ Challenge 2 - Function Graph is a challenge that involves creating a graph of a mathematical function using the TikZ package in LaTeX.

2. Why is TikZ used for this challenge?

TikZ is a powerful and versatile package that allows for the creation of high-quality graphics and diagrams in LaTeX. It is particularly useful for creating complex mathematical graphs and functions.

3. How do I get started with TikZ Challenge 2 - Function Graph?

To get started, you will need to have basic knowledge of LaTeX and the TikZ package. You can find tutorials and resources online to help you learn the necessary skills. Once you are familiar with the basics, you can start working on the challenge by following the instructions provided.

4. Can I use any mathematical function for this challenge?

Yes, you can use any mathematical function for this challenge as long as it can be graphed on a Cartesian plane. You can also use multiple functions in one graph to create more complex graphs.

5. Is there a time limit for completing TikZ Challenge 2 - Function Graph?

No, there is no time limit for completing the challenge. You can work on it at your own pace and submit your solution whenever you are ready. However, it is recommended to complete the challenge within a reasonable time frame to fully benefit from the learning experience.