What Force Is Needed to Hold a Cut Charged Sphere Together?

In summary, the problem involves a metal sphere cut in two along a plane, with a uniform charge Q distributed on its surface. The question asks for the necessary force to hold the two parts of the sphere together. Using electrostatic equations, it can be determined that the force is equal to the repelling force F, which is calculated using the electric field E and the charge Q. However, calculating the electric field through the spherical cap is a challenging task. One possible approach is to consider a line through the center of the sphere and perpendicular to the cut, and find the points on this line where the net force is zero for each section of the sphere. From there, the force could be calculated using the surface charges at those points.
Dinheiro

Homework Statement

A metal sphere, of radius R and cut in two along a plane whose minimum distance from sphere's centre is h, is uniformly charged by a total electric charge Q. What force is necessary to hold the two parts of the sphere together?

Homework Equations

Elestrostatic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After the cut, the charges would get redistributed along the section, right? I figured a spherical cap repelling the other piece as they would get the same charge signal, so the necessary force to hold them both is the repelling force F,
F = EQ
E is the electric field
How can I calculate this E through the spherical cap??

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't think in terms of an actual cut. The two quasi-hemispherical sections are joined together so all the charge is on the joined sphere's round surface, but there is a repulsive force trying to separate the two sections.
Beyond that I have no hints to offer.

Good call, as the force gets the quasi-hemisferical sections together, the charges will remain in the sphere's surface. I will retry it later.

Good luck with this, I suspect it's a tough problem, probably belongs in the advanced physics forum.

WAG: there's a line thru the center of the sphere and perpendicular to the cut. For each sphere section there's a point on this line where the net force in the direction of the line is zero (taking one section at a time). If you were to put the respective surface charges Q1 and Q2 at those two points, could you argue F = k Q1 Q2/d^2 where d is the distance separating those two points?

I would approach this problem by first reviewing the equations for electrostatics, particularly those related to electric fields and forces. I would also consider the principle of superposition, which states that the total electric field at a point is the sum of the electric fields from all individual charges.

To calculate the electric field at a point due to a charged spherical cap, I would use the equation for electric field of a point charge, E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the spherical cap, and r is the distance from the center of the cap to the point where the electric field is being measured.

Next, I would consider the distribution of charges on the two parts of the sphere after it has been cut along the plane. Since the sphere was uniformly charged before the cut, the charges on each section would also be uniformly distributed. This means that the electric field at any point on the surface of the sphere would be the same, regardless of which section it belongs to.

To calculate the force necessary to hold the two parts of the sphere together, I would use the principle of superposition to sum up the electric fields from both sections at the point where they are closest to each other (at a distance of h from the center). This would give me the total electric field at that point, which I can then use to calculate the necessary force using the equation F = EQ.

Overall, to accurately calculate the force necessary to hold the two parts of the sphere together, I would need to consider the distribution of charges on both sections, the distance between them, and the electric fields from each section at the point of closest approach.

Related to What Force Is Needed to Hold a Cut Charged Sphere Together?

1. How does tightening the charged sphere affect its electric field?

As the charged sphere is tightened, the distance between the charges decreases, resulting in an increase in the electric field strength. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the distance between the charges.

2. What happens to the potential energy of a tightened charged sphere?

The potential energy of a tightened charged sphere decreases as the distance between the charges decreases. This is because the potential energy is inversely proportional to the distance between the charges.

3. Can tightening a charged sphere change its charge?

No, tightening a charged sphere does not change its charge. The total charge of the sphere remains constant, only the distance between the charges changes.

4. How does the shape of the charged sphere affect the tightening process?

The shape of the charged sphere does not affect the tightening process. As long as the distance between the charges is decreasing, the electric field and potential energy will change accordingly.

5. Is there a limit to how tightly a charged sphere can be tightened?

There is no limit to how tightly a charged sphere can be tightened. However, as the charges get closer together, the electric field and potential energy will approach infinity, which is not physically possible.