TI89 calculator solver in functions?

In summary, the TI89 Titanium's built-in solver can be used with programs for compressible flow problems. However, the "solve(" function returns text which cannot be manipulated. Instead, the "nSolve(" function should be used, although it only returns the first value that satisfies the equation. This can be overcome by using the syntax "nSolve(function, variable) | variable < value" to restrict the solution to a specific domain. This allows for obtaining values for both subsonic and supersonic flow.
jzmaster
I was wondering if it's possible to use the TI89 Titanium's built-in solver with programs. More specifically, for compressible flow problems, I'd like to calculate mach number based on area ratio, specify whether the flow is subsonic or supersonic, then do something with the corresponding value.

Sadly, the "solve(" function returns text which is useless for manipulating the value (for example, taking the minimum)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I solved this problem myself. Here's what I did:
the "solve(" function returns text no matter what you do. The only useful function is "nSolve(". Unfortunately, nSolve will give whatever value it finds first which satisfies the equation, and doesn't search for other values. It is still useable in this case though:
by using "nSolve(function,variable) | variable < value", I can restrict nSolve's solution to a specific domain. By doing so, I can get the value in the region I'm interested in (in this case, subsonic flow, I'd type "nSolve(A/A* function,variable) | variable < 1" for subsonic, or "... | variable > 1" for supersonic.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to TI89 calculator solver in functions?

1. What is the TI89 calculator solver in functions?

The TI89 calculator solver in functions is a feature on the TI89 calculator that allows users to solve equations involving variables. It uses a numerical method to find the values of the variables that satisfy the equation.

2. How do I access the TI89 calculator solver in functions?

To access the TI89 calculator solver in functions, press the "Apps" button on the calculator, select the "Algebra" category, and then choose "solve". You can also access it by pressing "F2" and then "F1" on the calculator.

3. Can the TI89 calculator solver in functions solve any type of equation?

No, the TI89 calculator solver in functions can only solve equations that can be written in the form of f(x)=0. It cannot solve equations with inequalities, absolute values, or any other special functions.

4. Can I solve multiple equations at once using the TI89 calculator solver in functions?

Yes, the TI89 calculator solver in functions has the capability to solve multiple equations simultaneously. You can enter the equations in a system form, such as x+y=4, 2x-y=6, and the solver will find the values of x and y that satisfy both equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using the TI89 calculator solver in functions?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using the TI89 calculator solver in functions. It may not be able to find a solution if the equation has multiple variables, or if the solution involves complex numbers. It also has limited precision, so the solutions may not be exact.