TI-Nspire CX -- How to change the format of answer?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter ProfuselyQuarky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change Format
In summary, people may know how to change the format of the answers given in the scratchpad, but it depends on the calculator.
ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
Does anyone know how to change the format of the answers given in the scratchpad? For example, when converting degrees to radians, ##177^{\circ}(\frac{\pi}{180})##, I want the calculator to give me ##\frac{59\pi}{60}## instead of 3.08923. Any help would be appreciated! This has been really annoying me...

Computer science news on Phys.org
It depends on how your calculator works. What happens when you input [itex]\pi[/itex]?

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
mathman said:
It depends on how your calculator works. What happens when you input [itex]\pi[/itex]?
I get 3.14159. And, of course, I can change the decimal places given with settings.

Psinter said:
I don't have this calculator, but a quick search revealed some answers:

If your is not CAS you can do it as it says here:

If it is CAS you can do it as it says here by choosing Exact Mode.

Here is a preview of difference between CAS and not CAS: https://education.ti.com/en/us/prod...held/tabs/overview#lightbox=nspire-cas-noncas
Thanks @Psinter I tried that already. However, instead of ##\frac {59\pi}{60}##, I get ##\frac {5949124}{1925761}##.

Yeah, I didn't get CAS because CAS is "computer algebra systems" and it's not allowed in major tests like the SAT whereas the CX is...

ProfuselyQuarky said:
However, instead of 59π60\frac {59\pi}{60}, I get 59491241925761\frac {5949124}{1925761}.
To add to that, ##\frac {5949124}{1925761}## is just ugly and I first thought it had to do with radians (not sure why), but no.

Nobody knows how? :(

A quick search revealed: https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=1884&play=

If you check the gif sequence of screenshots you see that for [itex]cos^{-1}(-\frac{1}{2})[/itex] it gives the result in exact form [itex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex] and in approximate form 2.09...

It is in another language though.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Psinter said:
A quick search revealed: https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=1884&play=

If you check the gif sequence of screenshots you see that for [itex]cos^{-1}(-\frac{1}{2})[/itex] it gives the result in exact form [itex]\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex] and in approximate form 2.09...

It is in another language though.
You know, forums like that just make me appreciate PF so much more :smile:

Thanks for the link, Psinter, although it does not really show how to change the settings. I think I just have to do resort to doing those conversions with paper and pen. It's shame, though. For the price its worth, you'd think that the thing would clean for you.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
You know, forums like that just make me appreciate PF so much more :smile:

Thanks for the link, Psinter, although it does not really show how to change the settings. I think I just have to do resort to doing those conversions with paper and pen. It's shame, though. For the price its worth, you'd think that the thing would clean for you.
I think that's because it's a library that you load there, not something that becomes part of the operating system. But once again, I don't have that calc. I think the gif shows how to make it work.
ProfuselyQuarky said:
:DD

(sorry, I just love that redundancy)
Meh, that happens. :biggrin:

Psinter said:
I think that's because it's a library that you load there, not something that becomes part of the operating system. But once again, I don't have that calc. I think the gif shows how to make it work.
Ok, I'll look into it more. The Spanish made me dizzy...

Related to TI-Nspire CX -- How to change the format of answer?

1. How do I change the format of my answer on the TI-Nspire CX?

To change the format of your answer on the TI-Nspire CX, follow these steps:

• 1. Press the "Menu" button on the keypad.
  • 2. Select "Settings" and then choose "General" from the drop-down menu.
  • 3. Scroll down and select "Calculator Settings."
  • 4. Choose "Exact/Approx" and then select the desired format for your answer.
  • 5. Press "Enter" to save the changes.

2. What are the different formats available for answers on the TI-Nspire CX?

The TI-Nspire CX offers three different formats for answers: exact, decimal, and scientific notation. The exact format shows the answer in its most simplified form, while the decimal format displays the answer as a decimal number. The scientific notation format shows the answer in exponential notation.

3. Can I change the format of my answer after I have already calculated it?

Yes, you can change the format of your answer even after you have calculated it. Simply press the "Menu" button on the keypad, select "Edit," and then choose "Edit answer format." From there, you can select the desired format for your answer.

4. How do I change the default answer format on the TI-Nspire CX?

To change the default answer format on the TI-Nspire CX, follow these steps:

• 1. Press the "Menu" button on the keypad.
  • 2. Select "Settings" and then choose "General" from the drop-down menu.
  • 3. Scroll down and select "Calculator Settings."
  • 4. Choose "Exact/Approx" and then select the desired format for your default answer.
  • 5. Press "Enter" to save the changes.

5. Why is it important to change the format of my answer on the TI-Nspire CX?

Changing the format of your answer on the TI-Nspire CX allows you to display your answer in a way that is most useful to you. For example, if you are working on a problem that involves fractions, it may be more beneficial to display the answer in exact form rather than in decimal form. Changing the format also allows you to compare your answer to the answer key or to other students' answers if you are working on a group project.