Ti-84 Plus CE or Ti-Nspire CX: Which Calculator Should I Choose for College?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Jack-Frost
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ti-84
In summary, the TI-Nspire is more user friendly if you are technologically inclined. It allows you to input the math just as you see it on your paper. It's more advanced technology than the TI-84 plus. The TI-Nspire CX comes in either a CAS (Computer Algebra System) or Non-CAS. The CAS may not be allowed in some mathematics courses, but it just depends on the teacher and syllabi. For instance, the TI-Nspire CAS is allowed on the PSAT but not on the ACT. It can perform symbolic manipulation, which is very handy.
Jack-Frost
I'm a college student and my old ti-84 plus silver edition just broke. I'm looking to get a new one that'll take me through discrete math, and advanced calculus classes. I'd like to get either the Ti-84 plus CE or the Ti-Nspire CX but I'm not sure of all the differences between them since it isn't really clear and I was hoping someone could help clarify this for me as well as give their opinion as to which one I should get.

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
The TI-Nspire is more user friendly if you are technologically inclined. It allows you to input the math just as you see it on your paper. It's more advanced technology than the TI-84 plus. The TI-Nspire CX comes in either a CAS (Computer Algebra System) or Non-CAS. The CAS may not be allowed in some mathematics courses, but it just depends on the teacher and syllabi. For instance, the TI-Nspire CAS is allowed on the PSAT but not on the ACT. It can perform symbolic manipulation, which is very handy. In my opinion, if used in the right way, the TI-Nspire CAS is very nice software indeed. The thing is that you have to be able to do the mathematics without a symbolic CAS. My recommendation would be the TI-Nspire CX or CX CAS but I forewarn you that you may not be able to use the CAS version in all of your classes.

Likes nrqed
Thank you for the quick response. So, to clarify since I'll be using a non CAS version so I can use it on all of my tests and in all of my classes, you recommend the Ti-Nspire CX since it is more technologically advanced?

How easy would it be for me to follow along if my class was working on something a professor would be showing us if he is using a ti-84? Also, how differently do they operate?

That is exactly what I am saying. The real difference between the two technologies is that whenever you are inputting a function into the calculator with the TI-84, you have to be careful with how you use your grouping symbols and whenever you get into advanced computations(due to the viewing window of the TI-84), it may be hard to determine whether or not you have input the right commands into the calculator. Whereas with the TI-Nspire CX, it has better graphing capabilities, easier to use, and the functionality is better than the TI-84. The Nspire viewing window and command line, it is easy to ensure you input the right function into the calculator. You may use the TI-Nspire with any class that allows a graphing calculator. Once you spend more than a few hours with the TI-Nspire, you will be able to follow along flawlessly with your instructor, and perhaps you will very likely be able to out-compute him if he is using the TI-84. Also, the Nspire comes with student software(if bought new) from TI for a laptop or PC which is very nice. (NOTE: This is my opinion) Everyone has different tastes, but for a younger person growing up in the technological age, having a TI-Nspire is analogous to having a newer 2000 year model car as compared to a 1989 version. Did I mention that it has a touch pad which acts just like a laptops? I encourage you to get onto youtube and search for videos about TI-Nspire functionality and comparisons.

-Alexander J. Beetler

Edit- With the TI-Nspire viewing window and command line...

The flow of words broke down in the middle of the paragraph.

-Alexander J. Beetler

Thank you a ton for your help. I'd like to see if anyone else has any other opinions, but from what I'm seeing it sounds like the Nspire is much better for me and I'll probably go with that. Thank you very much.

I would like to ask though, how does the ti-84 CE vary from the Nspire CX? It looks like it's significantly better than the old ti-84's, but is it really that different?

Your welcome.

-Alexander J. Beetler

While the Ti-Nspire is a big step up in technology, it is a different animal to use. If you are willing to adopt to a new calculator system, you might even consider the Hp Prime as it is cheaper and has a nicer touch screen vs a touch pad of the Tin-spire. I like my Hp Prime better than my Tin Spire color CAS as it seems better laid out with a nice quality keypad.

However, I suggest you give some consideration to the Ti-84 CE. It is definitely overpriced and underpowered for its price to features ratio. However, it is nearly the same as the earlier Ti-84 aside from a newer, slimmer form factor and a nice color screen. Your math needs may be met with the simpler calculator that you already know and when you need more, you may really want to use a computer with the appropriate math package (even if this might be Excel).

Thank you for the response. I'd like to stay with The ti- family as most teachers use them and it will make it a bit easier to keep up when learning new things. Also, since I'm using my calculator primarily for class, tests, and homework, my options are limited to the 84 and Nspire families. I may have to simply find a ti-84 CE and ti-Nspire and test them both out to really decide. What it seems like it'll come down to is whether I can adapt to the nspire's different layout or whether I want to remain with the families 84 design.

1. What are the main differences between the Ti-84 Plus CE and Ti-Nspire CX?

The Ti-84 Plus CE and Ti-Nspire CX are both graphing calculators commonly used in high school and college mathematics courses. The main differences between these two calculators are their design, functionality, and price.

2. Which calculator is better for high school math courses?

Both the Ti-84 Plus CE and Ti-Nspire CX are suitable for high school math courses. However, the Ti-Nspire CX offers more advanced features such as 3D graphing and the ability to work with multiple representations of functions, making it a better option for students who are taking more advanced math courses.

3. Is the Ti-Nspire CX more expensive than the Ti-84 Plus CE?

Yes, the Ti-Nspire CX typically costs more than the Ti-84 Plus CE. The Ti-Nspire CX is a newer model with more advanced features, which contributes to its higher price point.

4. Can programs and apps be installed on both calculators?

Yes, both the Ti-84 Plus CE and Ti-Nspire CX have the ability to install programs and apps. However, the process may differ between the two calculators. The Ti-84 Plus CE uses TI-BASIC for programming, while the Ti-Nspire CX uses both TI-BASIC and Lua programming languages.

5. Which calculator is more user-friendly?

The Ti-84 Plus CE is generally considered more user-friendly due to its simpler design and user interface. However, the Ti-Nspire CX has a more advanced interface with touchpad navigation and a larger screen, which some users may find more intuitive.