Thunderstorms and Cars: Is Your Vehicle at Risk?

In summary, a moving car can be hit by lightning, but the people inside are safe due to the car's hollow metallic body acting as a shield. This is similar to Faraday's Cage Experiment where the metal cage deflects electricity away from the inside.
shiva999
if a person is traveling in a car and there was thunderstorming rain, is there any possibility that thunderbolt hits the car?(i read that it is not going to hit the car)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. A moving car can be hit by lightning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGv20HGy1b8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emCcbawLVx4

Last edited:
i don't mean lighting

shiva999 said:
i don't mean lighting

What do you mean then ?

A thunderbolt is lightning. And, yes, a moving car can be hit although the person inside will be quite safe.

Last edited:
thanks for giving me answer

The car being a hollow metallic body, will shield the people inside. It's one of the safest places to be during a lightning storm.

thebiggerbang said:
The car being a hollow metallic body, will shield the people inside. It's one of the safest places to be during a lightning storm.

Something like Faraday's Cage Experiment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Related to Thunderstorms and Cars: Is Your Vehicle at Risk?

1. How can thunderstorms damage cars?

Thunderstorms can damage cars in several ways. Lightning strikes can cause damage to electronic components and can even start fires. Heavy rain can cause flooding, which can damage the engine and electrical systems. Hail can also cause dents and scratches on the car's exterior.

2. Can you prevent lightning from damaging your car?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent lightning strikes, there are steps you can take to minimize the risk. Avoid parking under trees or near tall objects, as these can attract lightning. If you are caught in a thunderstorm while driving, stay inside your car and avoid touching metal surfaces.

3. What should I do if my car is flooded during a thunderstorm?

If your car is flooded during a thunderstorm, do not attempt to start it or drive it. Call for roadside assistance and have a professional assess the damage. Attempting to start a flooded car can cause further damage to the engine.

4. How can I protect my car from hail damage?

The best way to protect your car from hail damage is to park it in a covered area, such as a garage. If you do not have access to a covered area, you can use a car cover or blankets to protect your car. If you are caught in a hailstorm while driving, pull over to a safe location and cover your car with a blanket or mat.

5. Is it safe to drive during a thunderstorm?

It is generally not recommended to drive during a thunderstorm. If possible, wait until the storm passes before getting back on the road. If you must drive during a thunderstorm, use caution and keep a safe distance from other vehicles. Avoid driving through flooded areas and be aware of potential hazards such as fallen trees or power lines.