Thunderstorm Discharge modeled as Electric Dipole

In summary: I suggest you look at some calculus or physics to see if this is a feasible problem to solve. In summary, an electric dipole with q at the clouds of height h, and +q beneath the surface with height -h. Electric discharge occurs with electric field of 3000 V/m near ground level, and 200 V/m above the clouds. Discharges are likely in the ranges 0 < z < h and z = 0. The expression for the region above the clouds is E_{above}=-4kqh{\frac{h+z}{(2hz+z^2)^2}}.
Nyfinscyf

Homework Statement

An electric dipole with -q at the clouds of height h, and +q beneath the surface with height -h.
Given q=200 C, and h=6000m
Electric discharge occurs with electric field of 3000 V/m near ground level, and 200 V/m above the clouds.

Find the ranges where discharges are likely.

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{E}=\frac{kq}{r^{2}}\hat{r}[/itex]
[itex]k=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}}[/itex]
[itex]E=\left| \vec{E} \right|=\frac{k \left| q \right|}{r^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found an expression for the electric field at some point a distance z away from the ground
[itex]E=E_1 + E_2 = 2kq\frac{z^2 + h^2}{(z^2 - h^2)^2}[/itex]
plugging in z=0 (to find electric field at ground level) you get:
[itex]E=2kq\frac{1}{h^2}≈100 000 V/m[/itex]
And the closer you move to the clouds the larger the electric field gets, so the first range of discharges is simply 0 < z < h.
Now the second ranges of likely discharges above the clouds can come from the same expression but I can't simplify it to find an actual distance.
I tried setting E=200 but I can't simplify it. plugging in large numbers approx 130 000 m as z gives an electric field less than 200 V/m.

I don't think I'm approaching this problem correctly. Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

Nyfinscyf said:

Homework Statement

An electric dipole with -q at the clouds of height h, and +q beneath the surface with height -h.
Given q=200 C, and h=6000m
Electric discharge occurs with electric field of 3000 V/m near ground level, and 200 V/m above the clouds.

Find the ranges where discharges are likely.

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{E}=\frac{kq}{r^{2}}\hat{r}[/itex]
[itex]k=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_{0}}[/itex]
[itex]E=\left| \vec{E} \right|=\frac{k \left| q \right|}{r^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found an expression for the electric field at some point a distance z away from the ground
[itex]E=E_1 + E_2 = 2kq\frac{z^2 + h^2}{(z^2 - h^2)^2}[/itex]
Hi Nyfinscyf. I think you should check the denominator in your expression above. When z lies between the ground and cloud layer, as it gets further from the lower charge it will get closer to the upper charge. Surely one distance is (h + z) and the other (h - z), which multiplied together won't give you your denominator.

plugging in z=0 (to find electric field at ground level) you get:
[itex]E=2kq\frac{1}{h^2}≈100 000 V/m[/itex]
And the closer you move to the clouds the larger the electric field gets, so the first range of discharges is simply 0 < z < h.
Looks good. Note the denominator issue above disappears when z = 0!

Now the second ranges of likely discharges above the clouds can come from the same expression but I can't simplify it to find an actual distance.
I tried setting E=200 but I can't simplify it. plugging in large numbers approx 130 000 m as z gives an electric field less than 200 V/m.

I don't think I'm approaching this problem correctly. Can anyone help me out?

Write a new expression for the region above the clouds. In that case the distance to both charges increases as this new z increases. Be sure to take note of the field directions for the individual charges in that region.

I wrote another expression for above the clouds, where z is the distance from the clouds. The E field from the charges are in opposite directions which is why there is a negative in the expression below:
[itex]E_{above}=E_{+}+E_{-}=kq(\frac{1}{(2h+z)^2} - \frac{1}{z^2})[/itex]
which simplifies to
[itex]E_{above}=-4kqh{\frac{h+z}{(2hz+z^2)^2}}[/itex]
Which might not be a more simple expression :confused:

Now with this approximately 55km above the clouds is where the E field is less than 200 V/m, this was found just by plugging in numbers. I figured there is a more accurate way to do it.

The field is negative because it's getting the most influence from the negative charge at the clouds.

Surely one distance is (h + z) and the other (h - z), which multiplied together won't give you your denominator.
[itex]\frac{1}{(h+z)^2} + \frac{1}{(h-z)^2}=\frac{(h-z)^2+(h+z)^2}{(h+z)^2(h-z)^2}=\frac{h^2+z^2-2hz+h^2+z^2+2hz}{((h+z)(h-z))^2}=2\frac{h^2+z^2}{(h^2-z^2)^2}[/itex]

Same as what I wrote, except denom is reversed which doesn't matter since it's squared anyways.

Nyfinscyf said:
I wrote another expression for above the clouds, where z is the distance from the clouds. The E field from the charges are in opposite directions which is why there is a negative in the expression below:
[itex]E_{above}=E_{+}+E_{-}=kq(\frac{1}{(2h+z)^2} - \frac{1}{z^2})[/itex]
which simplifies to
[itex]E_{above}=-4kqh{\frac{h+z}{(2hz+z^2)^2}}[/itex]
Which might not be a more simple expression :confused:
Not necessarily more simple, but it is correct for the region it applies to. The other expression does you had did not apply to the region above the clouds due to the sign reversal of the cloud field as you "pass through" it on the way upwards.

Now with this approximately 55km above the clouds is where the E field is less than 200 V/m, this was found just by plugging in numbers. I figured there is a more accurate way to do it.
Looks about right. Since you end up with a nasty fourth order polynomial a numerical approach is probably the best way to go.

The field is negative because it's getting the most influence from the negative charge at the clouds.

[itex]\frac{1}{(h+z)^2} + \frac{1}{(h-z)^2}=\frac{(h-z)^2+(h+z)^2}{(h+z)^2(h-z)^2}=\frac{h^2+z^2-2hz+h^2+z^2+2hz}{((h+z)(h-z))^2}=2\frac{h^2+z^2}{(h^2-z^2)^2}[/itex]

Same as what I wrote, except denom is reversed which doesn't matter since it's squared anyways.
Yeah, okay. I must have been seeing things :smile:

This equation can be reduced to a quadratic in ##z^2##. That is, make a substitution say ##x = z^2##, then solve for x.

Thanks for your help gneill.
I'm happy with the answer now.

Related to Thunderstorm Discharge modeled as Electric Dipole

1. What is thunderstorm discharge modeled as electric dipole?

Thunderstorm discharge modeled as electric dipole is a scientific concept that explains how lightning is formed during a thunderstorm. It is based on the idea that a thundercloud contains positive and negative charges, with the negative charges located at the bottom of the cloud and the positive charges located at the top. This creates an electric dipole, or separation of charge, within the cloud.

2. How does the electric dipole in a thunderstorm discharge work?

The electric dipole in a thunderstorm discharge works by creating an imbalance of charges between the top and bottom of the thundercloud. This causes a strong electric field to form, with the negative charges at the bottom of the cloud attracted to the positive charges at the ground. When the electric field becomes strong enough, it can ionize the air and create a conductive channel for the lightning to travel through, resulting in a discharge of electricity.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric dipole in a thunderstorm discharge?

The strength of the electric dipole in a thunderstorm discharge is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the thundercloud, the amount of water vapor present, and the temperature and humidity of the surrounding air. These factors can all impact the separation of charges within the cloud and the strength of the resulting electric field.

4. Can the electric dipole in a thunderstorm discharge be used to predict lightning strikes?

While the electric dipole in a thunderstorm discharge is a key factor in the formation of lightning, it is not the only factor. Therefore, it cannot be used as the sole predictor of lightning strikes. However, monitoring the strength and location of the electric dipole can be a useful tool in predicting the likelihood and severity of lightning activity during a thunderstorm.

5. Are there any potential dangers associated with the electric dipole in a thunderstorm discharge?

Yes, there are potential dangers associated with the electric dipole in a thunderstorm discharge. Lightning strikes can cause damage to buildings and infrastructure, as well as pose a threat to people and animals. It is important to take precautions during thunderstorms and seek shelter in a safe location when lightning is present.