Thrust on an triagular lamina emersed in a liquid.

In summary, there is a need to find the normal force on one face of a triangular lamina immersed in liquid. To solve this, one can find the force element on a strip of area that is parallel to the base and at a certain distance from it, and then add all such elements over the surface of the lamina. This approach may help in finding the thrust on the lamina, which is the force of buoyancy. However, it is important to note that the thickness of the lamina is not given, making this problem poorly worded.
Navin
Homework Statement
A triangular lamina of area A and height h is im mersed in
a liquid of density ρ in a vertical plane with its base on the
surface of the liquid. The thrust on the lamina is
(a) 1/2Aρgh (b) 1/3Aρgh

(e) 1/6Aρgh (d) 2/3Aρgh
Relevant Equations
F(bouyancy)= Vρg
I feel there is a really obvious flaw in my logic but i can't pin it down

So i have to find the thrust on the lamina which is basically force of bauyancy

F(bouyancy)= Vρg

Now volume of the triangular lamina is its rea into its hieght.

v = Ah
hence
F = Ahρgsome information i feel i didnt take into account:

-base on surface of liquidPlease guide me in solving this

Physics news on Phys.org
Navin said:
So i have to find the thrust on the lamina which is basically force of bauyancy
Deducing from the offered answers, and the fact that you are not given the thickness of the lamina, this is not a buoyancy question. It wants the normal on (presumably, one face of) the lamina.
It is poorly worded.

haruspex said:
Deducing from the offered answers, and the fact that you are not given the thickness of the lamina, this is not a buoyancy question. It wants the normal on (presumably, one face of) the lamina.
It is poorly worded.
Okay so let's assume i have to find the normal force on one face, how do i find it. I have kinda hit a brick wall here :( can you give me a hint ?

I think the triangle is immersed in the liquid so that its height is along the vertical and its base parallel to the surface. Find the force element ##dF## on a strip of area ##dA## parallel to the base and at distance ##y## from the base. Then add all such elements over the surface of the triangle.

Related to Thrust on an triagular lamina emersed in a liquid.

1. What is thrust on a triangular lamina emersed in a liquid?

Thrust on a triangular lamina emersed in a liquid refers to the force exerted on the lamina due to the pressure of the liquid it is submerged in.

2. How is thrust on a triangular lamina calculated?

Thrust on a triangular lamina can be calculated by multiplying the density of the liquid, the acceleration due to gravity, and the vertical height of the lamina above the liquid surface.

3. What factors affect the thrust on a triangular lamina?

The thrust on a triangular lamina is affected by the density of the liquid, the shape and size of the lamina, and the depth at which it is submerged in the liquid.

4. How does the angle of the triangular lamina affect the thrust?

The angle of the triangular lamina affects the direction and magnitude of the thrust. The higher the angle, the greater the thrust in the direction perpendicular to the surface of the lamina.

5. What is the significance of thrust on a triangular lamina in fluid mechanics?

Thrust on a triangular lamina is an important concept in fluid mechanics as it helps in understanding the forces acting on objects submerged in a liquid and how they move or stay in equilibrium.