Thrust imparted from a photon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of producing a material that does not absorb, reflect, or scatter light, and the implications this would have on thrust and the interaction of light with the material. It is determined that in order to have thrust, the material must interact with light in some way, and the properties of light as a massless particle are also considered. The concept of a perfect mirror and the behavior of light in a medium are also mentioned.
jonatron5
If I produced a material that neither absorbed nor reflected light. Or at least did so to an extremely miniscule amount and set it in space and hit it with light. Would there be any thrust imparted unto it?

If so would it be significant?
My initial thoughts would be that sense it is massless there would be no thrust. But if the particle cannot pass through the object reflect off the object or go around the object , it has to move the object. No?

Also if light is massless and cannot be slowed let us say I take a perfect mirror and craft a box out of it and make it small enough that the inside can contain a single photon, what would happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
jonatron5 said:
If I produced a material that neither absorbed nor reflected light.
I guess scattering is forbidden as well?
Then it would not interact with light at all, the material is completely transparent. No thrust.
To get thrust, it has to absorb, reflect or scatter light.

Light is massless, but it has momentum.
jonatron5 said:
Also if light is massless and cannot be slowed
It can be slower in a medium that interacts with light.
jonatron5 said:
Also if light is massless and cannot be slowed let us say I take a perfect mirror and craft a box out of it and make it small enough that the inside can contain a single photon, what would happen?
The photon would stay inside. In the radio-frequency range, there are good approximations to perfect mirrors - they can store electromagnetic oscillations for several seconds.

If the material "neither absorbed nor reflected light", where does the light go?

HallsofIvy said:
If the material "neither absorbed nor reflected light", where does the light go?

it just passes through, without an effect...

Related to Thrust imparted from a photon?

1. What is the concept of "Thrust imparted from a photon"?

The concept of "Thrust imparted from a photon" refers to the force or momentum that is exerted by a photon on an object when it interacts with it. This force is a result of the photon's energy and its interaction with the object's surface.

2. How is thrust imparted from a photon measured?

Thrust imparted from a photon is measured using the principle of conservation of momentum. The change in momentum of the object, caused by the photon's interaction, can be calculated using the object's mass and velocity before and after the interaction.

3. What factors affect the amount of thrust imparted from a photon?

The amount of thrust imparted from a photon depends on several factors, including the energy and wavelength of the photon, the surface properties of the object, and the angle at which the photon strikes the object.

4. Can thrust imparted from a photon be used as a propulsion mechanism?

Yes, thrust imparted from a photon can be used as a propulsion mechanism. This concept is known as photon propulsion and is currently being researched for potential use in space travel.

5. How does thrust imparted from a photon differ from other forms of propulsion?

Unlike traditional forms of propulsion, such as chemical rockets, thrust imparted from a photon does not require any propellant and is therefore more efficient. It also produces a continuous, steady thrust, rather than a short burst of acceleration.