Throwing a ball from a train at an angle

In summary, you need to throw the ball at a diagonal angle to negate the forward momentum of the train.
Billyboy777
Hi all, I've been trying to find an answer to this question for a while, (bear with me physics is not a strong point). I would like to know how one would go about calculating how fast you have to throw a ball out of a train to negate its forward momentum. My understanding is that if you throw the ball straight out of the back you just need to match the trains speed, but what happens if you throw the ball at a diagonal? If i considered straight out of the side of the train to be 90degrees and out the back to be zero degrees, does the ball need to be thrown harder to compensate for the shallower angle and if so by how much?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you're quite right.

When you throw the ball at an angle, you can think of its motion as having two components - one in the direction the train is moving and one perpendicular to it, ie sideways.

And you want the component in the direction of the train to be exactly the opposite of the train's motion.

One way to see how fast this is for any direction, is to draw a scale diagram: draw an arrow backwards equal to the trains speed, then draw a line perpendicular until it meets the line of the ball's direction. Then the length of the line along the ball's direction tells you the speed you have to throw it. (I'll post a diagram as soon as I can do one.)

You can use a calculator and do some physics mumbo jumbo - just divide the speed of the train by the cosine of the angle you throw the ball and that's how fast you must throw it.
train.png

Last edited:
Likes Billyboy777 and berkeman
Merlin3189 said:
Yes you're quite right.

When you throw the ball at an angle, you can think of its motion as having two components - one in the direction the train is moving and one perpendicular to it, ie sideways.

And you want the component in the direction of the train to be exactly the opposite of the train's motion.

One way to see how fast this is for any direction, is to draw a scale diagram: draw an arrow backwards equal to the trains speed, then draw a line perpendicular until it meets the line of the ball's direction. Then the length of the line along the ball's direction tells you the speed you have to throw it. (I'll post a diagram as soon as I can do one.)

You can use a calculator and do some physics mumbo jumbo - just divide the speed of the train by the cosine of the angle you throw the ball and that's how fast you must throw it.
View attachment 89081
Amazing, thanks.

Related to Throwing a ball from a train at an angle

1. How does the angle at which a ball is thrown from a train affect its trajectory?

The angle at which a ball is thrown from a train will determine its initial velocity and direction. This will ultimately affect its trajectory, as the ball's motion is influenced by both its horizontal and vertical components.

2. Will the speed of the train impact the distance the ball travels?

Yes, the speed of the train will impact the distance the ball travels. The ball will inherit the train's velocity in the horizontal direction, but its vertical velocity will remain constant. This will result in a curved trajectory and a longer distance traveled compared to if the ball was thrown from a stationary train.

3. How does air resistance affect the ball's motion when thrown from a moving train?

Air resistance will have an impact on the ball's motion, causing it to slow down as it moves through the air. The magnitude of this effect will depend on factors such as the speed and density of the air, as well as the size and shape of the ball.

4. Can a ball be thrown from a train at any angle and still land back on the train?

No, a ball cannot be thrown from a train at any angle and still land back on the train. The ball's trajectory is affected by gravity, air resistance, and the train's motion, making it unlikely that the ball will return to the train unless thrown at a specific angle and with a precise amount of force.

5. How can the angle at which a ball is thrown from a train be calculated?

The angle at which a ball is thrown from a train can be calculated using trigonometric functions. The initial velocity of the ball can be decomposed into its horizontal and vertical components, and the angle can be determined using the inverse tangent function. Factors such as air resistance and the train's speed will also need to be taken into account in the calculation.