Defining Groups: Proving Abelian Property

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about proving a group is abelian. The first part is solved using the definition of groups and the second part involves proving that if an element in the group squared equals the unit element, then the group is abelian. The conversation includes a discussion about the definition of abelian and the use of the function F(x,y) to solve the problem. The expert provides clarification and assistance in solving the problem.
wubie
[SOLVED] Proof Using Def. of Groups

Hello,

This is my question:

Let G be a group.

i) Let x and y be elements of G. Prove that (xy)2 = x2y2 iff xy = yx. (Hint: Use the definition g2 = gg).

ii) Using part (i) prove that if g2 = u (the unit element) for all g which is an element of G, then G is abelian.

Now I BELIEVE that I have properly proved the part (i) of the question. But I am not sure how to proceed with part (ii). In fact, the second part question makes me wonder if I did part (i) correctly.

I know that the definition of abelian is:

For every x and y which are elements of G, a group G with the property x o y = y o x is called abelian ( or commutative). To rephrase, I would think this is the same as F(y,x) = F(x,y).

Now I am not sure what the definition would be in context of the question. Is the question saying,

Proposition: If g2 = u then xy = yx?

Is that the proposition that I am supposed to prove? And if that is the case, I am still not sure how to use the nfo g2 = u. How does it apply to the relation in part (i)?

In the case of part (i) would this be it?

x o y = x2y2. Then

x o u = x = u o x --> x2 * u = x = u * x2? (In which case 1 would be the identity element. Correct?).

Any help/clarification is appreciated. Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by wubie
Proposition: If g2 = u then xy = yx?

Is that the proposition that I am supposed to prove?

Yes.

And if that is the case, I am still not sure how to use the nfo g2 = u. How does it apply to the relation in part (i)?

Consider the product fg, where f and g are both in G. Since the group is closed, fg is also in g. We then must have, according to the info they gave (gg=u):

(fg)(fg)=u

Right multiply by gf:

(fg)(fg)(gf)=u(gf)

Can you take it from there?

In the case of part (i) would this be it?

x o y = x2y2.

That should be (x o y)o(x o y)=(x o x)o(y o y).

Consider the product fg, where f and g are both in G.
Right. Then if f and g are elements of G then by definition of a group, f o g is an element of G.
We then must have, according to the info they gave (gg=u)
Where u is an element of G by definition of a group and also by the aforementioned property. Correct?
(fg)(fg)=u
Right multiply by gf:

(fg)(fg)(gf)=u(gf)

Can you take it from there?
Yes. I can see it now. Perhaps you did too much in this step.
That should be (x o y)o(x o y)=(x o x)o(y o y).
OH! That helps! It's like a composition function right? For instance,

q = F(y,x) = x * y and
G(q)= G (F(y,x)) = q * q = F(y,x) * F(y,x) = (x*y)*(x*y).

This would be the same for the right side of the equation yes?

I will be back later and post the proof.

Thankyou Tom.

Originally posted by wubie
Right. Then if f and g are elements of G then by definition of a group, f o g is an element of G.

Where u is an element of G by definition of a group and also by the aforementioned property. Correct?

Yes; the group must have an identity element.

OH! That helps! It's like a composition function right?

For instance,

q = F(y,x) = x * y and
G(q)= G (F(y,x)) = q * q = F(y,x) * F(y,x) = (x*y)*(x*y).

Right.

This would be the same for the right side of the equation yes?

In the language of your function F(x,y), you have:

F(x,y) o F(x,y)=F(x,x) o F(y,y)

In the language of your function F(x,y), you have:

F(x,y) o F(x,y)=F(x,x) o F(y,y)

Right.Right. My mistake. Thanks a lot Tom. Your help has been great increasing my understanding of the subject.

Cheers.

1. What is the definition of a group?

The definition of a group is a set of elements paired with a binary operation that satisfies four properties: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

2. How do you prove that a set is a group?

To prove that a set is a group, you must show that it satisfies the four properties of a group: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. This can be done by providing specific examples and showing that the properties hold for those examples, or by using mathematical proofs.

3. What is the importance of the identity element in a group?

The identity element is crucial in a group because it serves as the neutral element for the group's operation. It ensures that every element in the group has an inverse and allows for the existence of a unique solution to equations within the group.

4. Can a group have more than one identity element?

No, a group can only have one identity element. This is because if there were two identity elements, they would have to be equal by definition, and therefore, they would not be two distinct elements.

5. What is the significance of the inverse property in a group?

The inverse property in a group allows for the existence of an inverse element for every element in the group. This means that every element can be 'undone' by performing the inverse operation, making it a crucial property in solving equations and understanding the structure of a group.