Three stacked blocks w/ friction between sliding on frictionless floor

In summary, the problem is poorly worded and asks for the net friction forces acting on each block, which is what you provide.
Saladsamurai
So I was helping my girlfriend with this problem and we are convinced we are correct, but her professor disagrees. So I am taking it to PF court :smile:

Homework Statement

In the figure, all 3 blocks have the same mass. A force pulls the system along the frictionless floor and the 3 blocks all move together in unison.

If the coefficient of static friction between pairs of blocks is the same, compare the magnitudes of net static friction on each block.

Picture6-4.png

Homework Equations

Newton's 2nd and the definition of friction: f = mu*Normal

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is a Free Body Diagram of each block:

Picture7-4.png

Each pair of blocks has a Newton's 3rd Law reaction pair acting on each face whose magnitude is equal to mu*Normal force.

From Block A

[tex]f_{AB}=\mu*N_A = \mu mg[/tex]

From Block B

[tex]f_{BC} = \mu*N_B = 2\mu mg[/tex]

Therefore the net force from friction on A is given by:

[tex]f_{A,Net}=f_{AB} = \mu mg[/tex]

The net force from friction on B is given by:

[tex]f_{B,Net} = f_{BC} - f_{AB} = \mu mg[/tex]

The net force from friction on C is given by:

[tex]f_{C,Net}=f_{BC} = 2\mu mg[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]f_{A,Net} = f_{B,Net} = \frac{1}{2}f_{C,Net}[/tex]

I am convinced this is correct, but the answer is supposedly supposed to be:

[tex]f_{A,Net} = \frac{1}{2}f_{B,Net} \text{ and } f_{C,Net} = 0[/tex]

which to me makes no sense. If the NET friction on C was zero, then that would be equivalent to saying there is no friction between blocks C and B which clearly is not true, else block C would accelerate with respect to block B (they would not 'stick' together).

Thoughts from the jury?

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

Yes, your comparison of net static friction forces is correct, which apparently the problem has asked for, but the solution seems to give not the net friction forces acting on each block, but rather, f_ab, f_bc, and F_floor on C (the latter of which is 0, frictionless), giving a right answer to a wrong question. But also remember that the staic friction force is not usually uN, but often, less than uN. But the comparison of friction forces works out ok, regardless.

Yes, I thought that he might be giving the frictional forces in between surfaces only.

The problem is poorly worded in my opinion. You are correct that it is only mu*N when it is fMAX,static. How else could one make a comparison between fstatic? I am just curious.

I am just wondering if there is some other technique that I may have missed?

Since the acceleration of all blocks are the same, you could try
f_ab = ma
f_bc -f_ab =ma

Which shows that the net friction force on the top and middle blocks are equal, and that since from the 2nd equation f_bc = ma + f_ab , then plugging eq. 1 into eq. 2, f_bc = 2f_ab. I don't like the problem wording, either.

Related to Three stacked blocks w/ friction between sliding on frictionless floor

What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless number that represents the resistance to sliding between two surfaces. It is dependent on the types of materials and the roughness of the surfaces in contact.

How does friction affect the motion of the blocks?

Friction between the blocks and the floor will cause a resistive force that opposes the motion of the blocks. This will slow down the blocks and eventually bring them to a stop.

Why is there no friction between the blocks?

If the blocks are stacked on top of each other with no movement between them, there will be no friction between them. Friction only occurs when there is relative motion between two surfaces.

How can the coefficient of friction be changed?

The coefficient of friction can be altered by changing the types of materials or by changing the roughness of the surfaces in contact. It can also be affected by the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.