Three pendulums, two springs normal modes.

In summary, to solve for the subsequent motion for x1, we can use the normal coordinates of the system. The given initial conditions correspond to a combination of the first and second normal modes, and the motion will be periodic if the natural frequency of the second normal mode matches the frequency of the initial conditions. I hope this helps with your question. Let me know if you have any other questions or if anything is unclear.Best, Your Expert Summarizer =)
wakko101
I have a coupled oscillator system that is three pendulums attached together by two springs. The first part of the problems asks to argue, using symmetry arguments, that there are two "obvious" normal modes: one with w^2=g/l and another with w^2=g/l + k/m. I understand that these two frequencies correspond to a) all three pendulums moving simultaneously and b) the two outer pendulums swinging out of phase while the centre one stays still.

The second part of the question asks: The system is started with the initial conditions (x1, x2, x3) = (2a, a, 0). From the results of part 1, solve for the subsequent motion for x1. Under what condition is the motion periodic?

It occurred to me that possibly this question has to do with the normal coordinates of the system. I understand how to derive them in a two pendulum system, but I can't figure out how I would do that in a triple system.

However, perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I would go about solving this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
W. =)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
:

Hello W. =),

Thank you for your post and for providing the initial conditions for the system. To solve for the subsequent motion for x1, we can use the normal coordinates of the system. In a triple pendulum system, the normal coordinates are the amplitudes of each pendulum's motion.

To find the normal coordinates, we can use the principle of superposition. We can break down the motion of the system into two parts: the first normal mode (where all three pendulums move simultaneously) and the second normal mode (where the outer pendulums swing out of phase while the center one stays still).

For the first normal mode, the amplitudes of each pendulum's motion will be equal. So if we let the amplitude of each pendulum's motion be A, then the normal coordinates for this mode would be (A, A, A).

For the second normal mode, the amplitudes of the outer pendulums' motion will be equal, but opposite in direction. So if we let the amplitude of each outer pendulum's motion be B, then the normal coordinates for this mode would be (B, -B, 0).

Now, for the given initial conditions (x1, x2, x3) = (2a, a, 0), we can see that the amplitudes would be (2a, a, 0), which does not match either of the normal coordinates we found. This means that the initial conditions do not correspond to a pure normal mode of the system.

However, if we let A = 2a and B = a, then the normal coordinates for the first normal mode would be (2a, 2a, 2a) and for the second normal mode would be (a, -a, 0). This means that the given initial conditions correspond to a combination of the two normal modes.

To determine if the motion is periodic, we can use the concept of resonance. The system will be in resonance if the frequency of the driving force (in this case, the frequency of the initial conditions) matches one of the natural frequencies of the system.

Since the natural frequencies of the system are w^2 = g/l and w^2 = g/l + k/m, we can see that the initial conditions will be in resonance with the second normal mode (w^2 = g/l + k/m) if g/l + k/m = (2

Related to Three pendulums, two springs normal modes.

1. What is a normal mode?

A normal mode is a specific pattern of motion that a system can undergo when disturbed from its equilibrium position. In the case of three pendulums and two springs, there are three normal modes, each with a unique combination of pendulum and spring motion.

2. How are normal modes related to frequency?

The frequency of a normal mode is determined by the system's natural frequency, which is dependent on the mass, length, and stiffness of the pendulums and springs. The higher the frequency of a normal mode, the faster the system will oscillate.

3. Can normal modes be observed in real life?

Yes, normal modes can be observed in many real-life systems such as musical instruments, bridges, and buildings. In the case of three pendulums and two springs, normal modes can be observed by displacing the system from its equilibrium position and observing the resulting motion.

4. What is the relationship between normal modes and energy transfer?

Normal modes are important for understanding energy transfer within a system. When a system is disturbed, energy will transfer between pendulums and springs until the system eventually reaches a state of equilibrium. The normal modes determine the rate and direction of energy transfer within the system.

5. How do the masses and lengths of the pendulums affect the normal modes?

The masses and lengths of the pendulums will affect the natural frequency of the system, which in turn affects the normal modes. A change in mass or length can alter the normal modes and result in different patterns of motion for the system.