Three-particle decay and momentum

In summary: Think of the momenta simply as three vectors. And think of how to define your ##x,y,z## axes.I'm not sure I understand your explanation.An alternative approach is to use Linear Algebra.
joseph_kijewski

Homework Statement

The decay of a neutron into a proton, an electron, and a neutrino is an example of a three-particle decay process. Use the vector nature of momentum to show that if the neutron is initially at rest, the velocity vectors of the three must be coplanar (that is, all in the same plane). The result is not true for numbers greater than three.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I knew that 0 would be equal to the net momentum of the three particles in all 3 directions, but don't really know where to go from here. I don't even know how to start this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
To get you started, the motion of any two particles defines a plane.

PeroK said:
To get you started, the motion of any two particles defines a plane.

I think I have a tentative answer but the more I think about it the less sense it makes to me, basically what I did was take m(proton)v(proton)+m(neutrino)v(neutrino)+m(electron)v(electron)=0
Then, I defined plane as the motion V(proton) of the proton and motion V(neutrino) of the neutrino. Next I got m(electron)v(electron)=-(m(proton)v(proton)+m(neutrino)v(neutrino)). Then converted this to momentum, thus -(P(proton)+P(neutrino))=P(electron). Thus P(electron) is opposite in direction but equal in magnitude to the addition of the other two vectors. Thus, it can be inferred that as it's opposite it's in the same plane. Is this correct or am I completely wrong. Should I write more to specify exactly what is meant?

joseph_kijewski said:
I think I have a tentative answer but the more I think about it the less sense it makes to me, basically what I did was take m(proton)v(proton)+m(neutrino)v(neutrino)+m(electron)v(electron)=0
Then, I defined plane as the motion V(proton) of the proton and motion V(neutrino) of the neutrino. Next I got m(electron)v(electron)=-(m(proton)v(proton)+m(neutrino)v(neutrino)). Then converted this to momentum, thus -(P(proton)+P(neutrino))=P(electron). Thus P(electron) is opposite in direction but equal in magnitude to the addition of the other two vectors. Thus, it can be inferred that as it's opposite it's in the same plane. Is this correct or am I completely wrong. Should I write more to specify exactly what is meant?

Think of the momenta simply as three vectors. And think of how to define your ##x,y,z## axes.

I'm not sure I understand your explanation.

An alternative approach is to use Linear Algebra. If the original particle is at rest, what can you say about the three momenta vectors?

Related to Three-particle decay and momentum

1. What is a three-particle decay?

A three-particle decay is a type of radioactive decay where a parent particle decays into three smaller particles, also known as daughter particles. This process releases energy and is governed by the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.

2. How is momentum conserved in three-particle decay?

Momentum is conserved in three-particle decay through the momentum of the parent particle being equal to the combined momentum of the daughter particles. This means that the total momentum before and after the decay remains the same.

3. What is the role of mass in three-particle decay?

Mass plays a crucial role in three-particle decay as it determines the energy available for the particles to be created from the decay. The mass of the parent particle must be greater than the combined mass of the daughter particles for the decay to occur.

4. What is the difference between zero-momentum frame and zero-kinetic energy frame?

A zero-momentum frame is a reference frame in which the total momentum of the system is zero. In contrast, a zero-kinetic energy frame is a reference frame in which the total kinetic energy of the system is zero. These frames may not necessarily be the same, as the total momentum and total kinetic energy of a system are not always equal.

5. How does the concept of spin factor into three-particle decay?

Spin plays a role in three-particle decay as particles with different spin values have different probabilities of decaying. The spin of a particle also determines the angular momentum of the decay products, which can provide insight into the underlying physics of the decay process.