Three colors to paint each side of a square, how many different squares?

In summary, the conversation discusses how many completely different arrays can be created by painting each side of a square with one of three different colors. There is a debate about whether the same square rotated should be counted as the same or different. The use of permutations and combinations with repetition is suggested, and the answer is estimated to be around 24.
kaleidoscope

Homework Statement

If you have a square and can paint each side with one of three different colours, how many completely different arrays can you get? (rotated squares don't count)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking 3^4 / 4 but, that is not an integer, (3^4 - 1) / 4 is an integer but why would you substract 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
You just have 4 edges of the square that you can colour? and does the order of the colours matter?

You might also want to consider if the same square rotated would counted as the same:
in other words would red, black, green, black be the same as black, red, black, green or different (both starting at the top of the square and going clockwise)?

kaleidoscope said:
(rotated squares don't count)

HallsofIvy said:
You might also want to consider if the same square rotated would count

I think my link will give you the information you need to solve it. I got an answer that I checked quickly by writing out all of the combinations.

dacruick said:
I think my link will give you the information you need to solve it. I got an answer that I checked quickly by writing out all of the combinations.

Thanks. I thought we needed a permutation.

We actually need permutations and the answer should be around 24. I'm still looking for a solution.

Related to Three colors to paint each side of a square, how many different squares?

1. How many different squares can be created with three colors on each side?

There are a total of 27 different squares that can be created with three colors on each side. This can be calculated by taking the total number of color combinations (3 x 3 x 3 = 27) for each side of the square.

2. Can the colors be repeated on each side of the square?

Yes, the colors can be repeated on each side of the square. This means that the same color can be used for all three sides, resulting in a solid colored square.

3. Are there any restrictions on the placement of the colors?

No, there are no restrictions on the placement of the colors. Each side of the square can be painted with any of the three colors, regardless of the colors used on the other sides.

4. Can the order of the colors be changed on each side of the square?

Yes, the order of the colors can be changed on each side of the square. This means that the same three colors can be used on each side, but in a different order, resulting in a different square.

5. How does the number of squares change if we use more than three colors?

If we use more than three colors, the number of squares will increase exponentially. For example, using four colors on each side would result in 64 different squares (4 x 4 x 4 = 64). The number of squares will always be the total number of color combinations raised to the power of the number of sides on the square.