Three blocks and two strings

In summary, in this conversation, the participants discuss a problem involving three objects connected on a table with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.350. The objects have masses of 4.00 kg, 1.00 kg, and 2.00 kg, and the pulleys are frictionless. They determine the acceleration of each object and their directions, as well as the tension in the two cords. One participant raises a concern about the calculated acceleration being greater than freefall acceleration, but it is explained that the entire system must accelerate at the same rate. They also discuss how to calculate the tension of the cords when the system is accelerating.
Stevecgz
Three objects are connected on a table as shown in the http://www.cybertrails.com/~reedaz/pic1.JPG . The table has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.350. The objects have masses of 4.00 kg, 1.00 kg, and 2.00 kg. The pulleys are frictionless. Determine the acceleration of each object and their directions. Determine the tension in the two cords.

I begin solving this by drawing a free body diagram for the center object that is on the table. I find the forces acting in the x direction are T1 = -39.2N, T2 = 19.6N, and Fk = (0.350)9.8 = 3.43N.

Sum F = -39.2 + 19.6 +3.43 = ma
m = 1.00 kg
so a = -16.17 m/s^2

This answer of a = -16.17 m/s^2 does not seem reasonable because it is greater than freefall acceleration. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The whole system must accelerate at the same rate or funky things happen. So when you calculated ma, you should have used the mass of the entire system.

Thanks zwtipp05, the answer I get seems more reasonable now.

Steve

I'm still uncertain how to calculate the tension of the cords in a problem like this. I know that if there was no motion that one cord would have a tension of 39.2N and the other of 19.6N. How do I calculate the tension when the system is accelerating?

Steve

Last edited:
The system is accelerating, but within the system, the block is not accelerating with respect to the ropes.

Thanks again zwtipp05.

Steve

Related to Three blocks and two strings

What is the concept of "Three blocks and two strings"?

"Three blocks and two strings" is a physics problem that involves three blocks of different masses connected by two strings with tension. The goal is to determine the acceleration of the system and the tension in each string.

What are the assumptions made in "Three blocks and two strings" problem?

The assumptions made in this problem are that the strings and blocks are massless, friction is negligible, and the strings are inextensible.

How do you approach solving "Three blocks and two strings" problem?

The first step is to draw a free-body diagram for each block and apply Newton's Second Law to each block separately. Then, use the equations of motion to find the acceleration of the system. Finally, use the tension in each string to find the acceleration of each block.

What are the variables involved in "Three blocks and two strings" problem?

The variables involved in this problem are the masses of the blocks, the acceleration of the system, and the tension in each string. Other variables such as the angle of the strings and the coefficient of friction may also be involved depending on the specific problem.

What are the real-life applications of "Three blocks and two strings" problem?

"Three blocks and two strings" problem has applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and even sports. It can be used to analyze the motion of pulley systems, the movement of objects on an incline, and the forces involved in rock climbing or sailing.