Satellite orbital radius Question

In summary, the astronaut is trying to catch up to a satellite in need of repair, but is having difficulty because of the differences in their orbital radii. The astronaut needs to reduce their orbital radius in order to catch up to the satellite in 7.3 hours.
angelical_kitten
I am a first-year physics/chemistry major in First-term Calculus-based Physics. Normally, I have no trouble with my physics assignments, but this problem...man, i have no idea even where to start, even after analyzing it for two hours straight! Any help would be appreciated!

5. You are an astronaut in the space shuttle pursuing a satellite in need of repair. You find yourself in a circular orbit of the same radius as the satellite, but 20 km behind it.

(a) How long will it take to reach the satellite if you reduce your orbital radius by 0.9 km?

(b) By how much must your reduce your orbital radius to catch up in 7.3 hours?
km

Physics news on Phys.org
For circular orbit,

[tex]a_\textrm{centripetal} = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

correct? Now, this centripetal acceleration must be provided by gravity (what else is going to produce it?), so acceleration due to gravity is

[tex]a_\textrm{gravity} = G\frac{M_\textrm{Earth}}{r^2}[/tex]

So centripetal acceleration and acceleration due to gravity will be equal. Now we have an equation relating velocity and radius. Can you take it from here?

The second problem works the same way, just backwards.

cookiemonster

Oh, I forgot! I know that this relationship needs to be used somehow, but I still can't seem to see how:

(mv^2)/r = Gm*(m of earth)/(r^2)

don't i need to know the original radius? or does that not really matter?

It seems to me that you do, but everybody's working me so hard that I'm running around like a madman and I could very well be wrong. Is the initial orbital radius given? Do they want you to solve it symbolically?

See where you can take that equation.

cookiemonster

The initial orbital radius isn't given, but they still expect me to come up with a numerical answer...lol, soon I'm probably just going to start guessing, hope I come up with the right answer!

*clip*
This all was misleading, so forget it.

cookiemonster

Last edited:
All right. Here we go.

[tex]\frac{1}{v_i^2} - \frac{1}{v_f^2} = \frac{r_0 - r_0 + .9 km}{GM}[/tex]

Take it from there.

cookiemonster

ok...i figured out what i was supposed to do...
[tex]\frac{mv^2}{r} = \frac{GmM}{r^2}[/tex]

m cancels out, leaving:
[tex]\frac{v^2}{r} = \frac{GM}{r^2}[/tex]

solving for v gives:
[tex]v = \sqrt{GM}*r^{-1/2}[/tex]

taking the derivative gives us [tex]dv[/tex] in terms of [tex]r[/tex] and [tex]dr[/tex]:
[tex]dv = \sqrt{GM}*r^{-3/2}*dr[/tex]

Now, I guess I was supposed to assume that the satellite was a low-orbiting body, thus the orbital radius is nearly equal to the radius of the earth.
Thus, [tex]r = 6.38 * 10^3 km[/tex]
[tex]M = 5.97 * 10^{24} kg[/tex]
[tex]G = 6.67 * 10^{-11} Nm^2kg^{-2}[/tex]
[tex]dr = 0.9 km[/tex]

Solving gives:
[tex]dv = 2.02 m/s[/tex]

Because [tex]dr[/tex] is so small in comparison with the orbital radius, the effect it has on the rest of the solution is negligible.

Because all aspects of the two orbiting bodies are effectively equal except for the velocities, we can now use:

[tex]t = \frac{d}{v}[/tex]
[tex]d = 20 km[/tex]
[tex]v = 2.02 m/s[/tex]

From this, we obtain [tex]t = 9.90 hrs[/tex]
Part B uses these equations, but in reverse.

angelical_kitten said:
Now, I guess I was supposed to assume that the satellite was a low-orbiting body, thus the orbital radius is nearly equal to the radius of the earth.

Personally, I think that's a poor assumption on the part of the problem writers. But that's just me.

And, just for your future use, the dv/dr method yields the same results as substituting in

[tex]v_f = v_i + \Delta v[/tex]

but requires less algebra. It's pretty intuitive to see how this is true, since we know in the limit delta v = dv.

cookiemonster

Last edited:

1. What is satellite orbital radius?

Satellite orbital radius refers to the distance between the center of the Earth and the orbit of a satellite. It is measured in kilometers or miles.

2. How is satellite orbital radius calculated?

Satellite orbital radius is calculated using Kepler's Third Law, which states that the square of a satellite's orbital period is proportional to the cube of its orbital radius. This can be calculated using the formula: R = (T^2GM/4π^2)^1/3, where R is the orbital radius, T is the orbital period, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the Earth.

3. What factors affect satellite orbital radius?

The main factor that affects satellite orbital radius is the mass of the Earth. The more massive the Earth, the larger the orbital radius needs to be in order for the satellite to maintain its orbit. Other factors that can affect orbital radius include the altitude of the satellite and the presence of other celestial bodies, such as the Moon.

4. Why is satellite orbital radius important?

Satellite orbital radius is important because it determines the stability and functionality of a satellite's orbit. If the orbital radius is too small, the satellite will experience too much atmospheric drag and may eventually fall to Earth. If the orbital radius is too large, the satellite may drift away from its intended orbit or even be pulled out of orbit by other celestial bodies.

5. How does satellite orbital radius impact satellite communication and navigation?

The orbital radius of a satellite plays a crucial role in satellite communication and navigation. The distance between the satellite and Earth determines the strength and quality of the signal, and the orbital radius must be carefully chosen to ensure optimal communication and navigation capabilities. Additionally, satellites in geostationary orbits have a fixed orbital radius, which allows them to remain in a fixed position relative to the Earth's surface, making them ideal for satellite communication and navigation purposes.