This whole unit thing of mols is somewhat tricky and interesting. if

In summary, the conversation delves into the concept of mols and molar mass. The group discusses whether one mol of a substance is equal to its atomic mass in grams and whether the molar mass is the same thing as one mol. They also discuss the relationship between Avogadro's number and the mass of a mol. It is clarified that the mass of a mol is not the same thing as one mol, and that a mol is defined as Avogadro's number of particles without any reference to the mass of the constituents.
LT72884
This whole unit thing of mols is somewhat tricky and interesting. if one mol of Na is 23g, then wouldn't 100.3g of NaCl be one Mol as well. I am under the impression from my lecture notes in class that the grams of a substance is the same a s a mol. I was asked a school of thought question by the profesor. How many mols is in 100.3g of NaCl. I said one because the notes stated that the grams of the substance is also equal to one mol. But as i write this i am puttign things together.

is it only one mol IF the grams of whatever happen to be equal to the amu. so NaCl has a molar mass of 58. if the question was asked, if you had 58g of NaCl, then that would be ONE mol right. it couldn't be the 100.3g is one mol because the 100.3g is not equal to the amu of NaCl

thanks guys.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

not quite so. one mol of any substance, is the atomic mass of its constituents, times the Avogardo's constant (a very large number). the atomic mass is in terms of the atomic mass unit, where each nucleon weights roughly 1 units. the avogardo's constant then can connect your nucleon mass to grams, because one mol of anything, weights exactly the same as the atomic mass number (or the number of nucleons) of that thing in grams. 100 grams of NaCl is therefore 100/58 or roughly 2 mols.

ardie said:
. one mol of any substance, is the atomic mass of its constituents, times the Avogardo's constant (a very large number).
You mean the molar mass is what follows after the bold part, I suppose.

you don't say one molar mass of chlorine do you, you say one mol of chlorine, and what you mean is an avogardo's number of them, which weigh one avogadro's number times their atomic mass times the mass of nucleons in grams.

Last edited:

ardie said:
you don't say one molar mass of chlorine do you, you say one mol of chlorine, and what you mean is an avogardo's number of them, which weigh one avogadro's number times their atomic mass times the mass of nucleons in grams.

"One mol" and the "mass of a mol" are two different things.
Multiplying atomic mass of the constituents by Avogrado's number you obtain the mass of a mol of that substance and this is called molar mass.
The result is the mass of the mol and not the mol itself.
A mol is defined without any reference to the mass of the constituents. It's just Avogrado number of particles.
More general, the mass of an object is not the same thing as the object itself.

Related to This whole unit thing of mols is somewhat tricky and interesting. if

What is a mol in scientific terms?

A mol is a unit of measurement in chemistry that represents the amount of a substance that contains as many particles as there are atoms in exactly 12 grams of carbon-12. It is used to measure the quantity of a substance on a molecular level.

Why is the concept of mols important in chemistry?

Mols are important because they allow scientists to accurately measure and compare the amounts of different substances. This is crucial in chemical reactions and in understanding the properties and behaviors of substances.

How is a mol different from a molecule?

A mol is a unit of measurement, while a molecule is a physical entity made up of two or more atoms bonded together. A mol refers to a specific quantity of molecules, whereas a molecule is a single particle.

What is Avogadro's number and how is it related to mols?

Avogadro's number is a constant (6.022 x 10^23) that represents the number of particles in one mol of a substance. This number is used to convert between the mass of a substance and the number of particles it contains.

How do you calculate the number of mols in a given sample of a substance?

To calculate the number of mols in a sample of a substance, you divide the mass of the sample by the substance's molar mass. This will give you the number of mols present in the sample. The formula is: n = mass (g) ÷ molar mass (g/mol).