How holographic technology will progress in the near future

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential progression of holographic technology in the near future and the possibility of having holographic projectors in homes instead of TVs. It also considers the challenges of filming and showing 3D content, as well as the use of robots and liquid crystal displays to create a "holodeck" experience. Some suggest using dust or mist to create holographic images, while others propose using a multilayer transparent color TFT screen. However, there are still limitations and challenges to creating realistic and immersive holographic environments.
Parsons
I have heard a lot about how holographic technology will progress in the near future, and have looked at how complex the equipment needed is. Will it be possible in the near future to have holographic projecters in the home, for example instead of TVs? How hard would it be to film and show a 3D show.

At theme parks, there are 3D shows, but the machines needed are huge, and 3D glasses are needed. Are such items needed all the time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
One problem with the broadcast of holograms is that hologram have vastly more information encoded into them than a 2D image. This would result in having to use huge bandwiths to carry the info.

You could create your own 3d tv by putting two cameras eye distance apart and using an editing program to get them in sync and put them side by side. Then you cross your eyes, focus, which isn't easy, and you have a 3d image.

Raavin

A proper hologram would be hard to set up due to its enormous size (as parsons mentioned earlier.) But with most technology computers have got smaller, remeber the huge mothers in the 80s, i do. I suppose in the future there will be holograms that fit in your pocket and your deepest darkest fantacies will come true. I imagine it will be like the holodek on star trek

I found a site recently that uses the idea of modular, self organising robots to potentially create a 'holodeck' type experience. The robots organise into different shapes and I suppose could create a moving landscape too. One of the problems with holograms is depth. You could do movies like hitchcock's lifeboat or others that are done in confined spaces but as soon as you start to get into large areas you have to have 2d flat backgrounds unless you can trick the viewer into thinking there is depth. Watch a couple of movies and see how the composition of the shot effects the emotions you feel. This would be very hard to translate to a holographic environment. How would you deal with quick editing, you have to have scenes built around very little movement or you would be completely exhausted swinging your head from side to side or trying to quickly focus on different objects. How do you have somebody whispering in someones ear. In a 2d movie, you do a close up and the voice is as loud as a normally spoken one. This would be very weird in a 3d holographic environment. You would have to have performances more like a live play.

The whole thing is very interesting though.

Raavin :wink:

I would love to have holograms around such as the ones in star wars

It would be simple if you could project something into the air that would bounce the light off of it... It is kind of hard to explain. Go by something dusty with a flashlight, kick up some dust, and light the flashlight. The light stops because of the dust and it apears slightly like a hologram. If you could projects something that would stop in that way it would be much like a hologram. Do you get what I am saying?

Yea...I see what ure saying...There are things KINDA like that, where a needle oscilates back and forth really fast, and a light shines on it, creating an image...Theres clocks like that and stuff

That's actually an interesting idea. What if you had liquid crystal display that span around really quickly. Would our persistance of vision allow us to see a 3d image?

I'll have to think about this a bit more.

Raavin [?]

Why not make a 3d tv that you can step into its photonic display that's allows the vacculle to resenable your mass towards the holographic projection

Originally posted by Raavin
I found a site recently that uses the idea of modular, self organising robots to potentially create a 'holodeck' type experience. The robots organise into different shapes and I suppose could create a moving landscape too. One of the problems with holograms is depth. You could do movies like hitchcock's lifeboat or others that are done in confined spaces but as soon as you start to get into large areas you have to have 2d flat backgrounds unless you can trick the viewer into thinking there is depth. Watch a couple of movies and see how the composition of the shot effects the emotions you feel. This would be very hard to translate to a holographic environment.

Nah, for the backdrops, just use holograms!

Originally posted by Nicool003
I would love to have holograms around such as the ones in star wars

It would be simple if you could project something into the air that would bounce the light off of it... It is kind of hard to explain. Go by something dusty with a flashlight, kick up some dust, and light the flashlight. The light stops because of the dust and it apears slightly like a hologram. If you could projects something that would stop in that way it would be much like a hologram.
I had almost this exact same idea. With a few changes. First in stead of dust you could have a sort of gas like one of those foggers used for parties. And you could us a projector to get the 3d image. also with different intensities of light going deeper into the gas you could get 3d. please tell me your comments on this theory.

I'm pretty sure you really need some sort of reflector, like dust or mist, for traditional holograms too, otherwise the light doesn't get to your eye. You also can't just stop light at a certain length. Unless you could get the mist to form the shapes you wanted I'm not sure how this would work. They had something like that in that sci-fi submarine show. Can't remember the name of it.

What about a multilayer transparent colour TFT screen. A cube of it could create a 3d image. There is also a system like a crystal ball that creates a holgram inside it. The hardware is about $40,000 I think in USD and is available now.

Raavin :wink:

You can actually display a hologram on a flat screen or piece of glass; you just have to get the reflection properties right. That's how all those little flat hologram sticker thingies work. There's just no way now of making a material that can display those images realtime; it takes a bit of preparation to encode just one static holographic image in material.

Incidentally, we made our own holograms in one of my senior phys labs... I still have the glass around here. Pretty fun. :smile:

I had almost this exact same idea. With a few changes. First in stead of dust you could have a sort of gas like one of those foggers used for parties. And you could us a projector to get the 3d image. also with different intensities of light going deeper into the gas you could get 3d. please tell me your comments on this theory.

I didn't mean that you should actually use dust, I was using that as a possibility and an example of something similar to a hologram that we can use now. If we can use something as simple as dust (or as raavin said a type of mist) why should we go crazy trying to make a complicated and extremely expensive?

1. How is holographic technology different from virtual reality?

Holographic technology involves projecting three-dimensional images into physical space, creating the illusion of objects or people being present in the real world. Virtual reality, on the other hand, creates a completely simulated environment that the user can interact with through a headset or other device.

2. Will holographic technology eventually replace physical screens and displays?

It is unlikely that holographic technology will completely replace physical screens and displays in the near future. While holographic displays offer many benefits, such as being able to project images in mid-air, they are currently limited in terms of resolution and cost. Physical screens and displays will likely continue to be used for everyday purposes, while holographic technology may be reserved for more specialized applications.

3. How will holographic technology impact the entertainment industry?

Holographic technology has the potential to revolutionize the entertainment industry by creating immersive and interactive experiences for audiences. For example, holographic concerts could allow fans to experience live performances of their favorite artists in a whole new way. It could also be used in movies and video games to create more realistic and engaging visuals.

4. What advancements can we expect to see in holographic technology in the near future?

As holographic technology continues to evolve, we can expect to see advancements in resolution, size, and cost. Researchers are also working on developing holographic displays that can be viewed from multiple angles and perspectives, making the technology even more immersive and realistic.

5. Are there any potential ethical concerns with the use of holographic technology?

As with any technology, there are potential ethical concerns that may arise with the use of holographic technology. For example, there may be concerns about privacy and the use of holograms for surveillance purposes. It will be important for regulations and guidelines to be in place to ensure the responsible and ethical use of holographic technology.