This Cannot Be Density In Chem

In summary: That is 1370kg per 1000L. That is 1.37kg per litre. That is 1.37g per millilitre. That is 1.37g per cm^3. That is 1.37g per cubic cm. That is 1.37g per cc.In summary, the density of a substance with a density of 1.37 g/cm3 is equivalent to 1370 kg/m3. This conversion was achieved by using the conversion factors of 1 kg = 1000 g and 1 m = 100 cm, and multiplying them by the original density in g/cm3. The final answer is expressed to 1 decimal
dagg3r
The density of a substance is 1.37 g/cm3. Convert this into kg/m3.
Remember that: 1kg = 103 g and 1 m = 102 cm. Express your answer to 1 decimal place (don't include units).

what i did is

1.37g = 0.00137 kg
1cm^3 = 1*10^-6 ie (1/(10^3))

0.00137 / (1*10^-6) = 1370.0 kg/m^3 is that correct?

i don't think so looks so large hehehe maybe I am confused heh someone shed some light on that
-----------------

question 2
What mass of K2CO3 is needed to prepare 200 mL of a solution having a potassium ion concentration of 0.150 M? (molecular mass of K2CO3 = 138.2 g mol-1)
Hint: remember that 2 K+ ions are produced in the solution, so twice the conc of the original salt)

its a multiple choice answer i did the working out and got 2.07g is that correct?

ill show whawt i did
n(k2c03)=0.150*(200/1000L)=0.03 mol /2 = 0.015mol
0.015 * 138.2gmol^-1 = 2.0703g

i hope that's right please tell me if it is wrong or right ppl thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
"Remember that: 1kg = 103 g and 1 m = 102 cm. "

What? Is this like saying "pi=3"?

Oh! Oh. Of course, you meant 1kg=10^3g and 1m=10^2cm.

Check you answers by estimation. Water is 1g per cubic cm. 1 cubic meter of water is 1000kg. Do your answers fall in line?

DaveC426913 said:
"

Check you answers by estimation. Water is 1g per cubic cm. 1 cubic meter of water is 1000kg. Do your answers fall in line?

so i assume my answer is wrong? since i had 1cubic centimeter nearly 1000kg? so how would i correctly do the density question some one please show me thanks

dagg3r said:
The density of a substance is 1.37 g/cm3. Convert this into kg/m3.
Remember that: 1kg = 103 g and 1 m = 102 cm. Express your answer to 1 decimal place (don't include units).

what i did is

1.37g = 0.00137 kg
1cm^3 = 1*10^-6 ie (1/(10^3))

0.00137 / (1*10^-6) = 1370.0 kg/m^3 is that correct?

i don't think so looks so large hehehe maybe I am confused heh someone shed some light on that

OK, I'll spend some time doing this because there is a very simple technique in doing such conversion, and dimensional analysis is such an important, but simple part of chemistry (and physics, and engineering), that this should be taught clearly.

What you need to do is actually multiply by 1! I'll explain. You have

[tex] 1.37 \frac{g}{cm^3}[/tex]

You need to mulply that by "1" and handle the units as if they are like any algebraic symbol. The "1" that you are going to mutiply is the conversion factor. I will first do the numerator, which is "g" as such:

[tex] 1.37 \frac{g}{cm^3} \frac{1 kg}{1000 g} [/tex]

I multiplied that with 1kg/1000g which actually hasn't changed anything. That fraction is really just "1", only it is expressed in different units. Notice now that the unit "g" cancels out just like any algebraic units, leaving you now, if you do the numerical calculation, with a quantity having the units kg/cm^3. So now let's deal with the cm^3 unit. I can again multiply with another "1", since I know that 1m = 100 cm. Thus

[tex] 1.37 \frac{g}{cm^3} \frac{1 kg}{1000 g} \frac{100*100*100 cm^3}{1 m^3} [/tex]

Again, note that cm^3 cancels out, leaving you with m^3. You now have a number in units that you want.

Again, the technique here is to do this ONE step at a time, and find the connection between the necessary units (i.e. 1 kg = 1000g, 1m = 100 cm), and use those relationship to form a fraction that is essentially "1". Then multiply that to the number you want to convert. Note that in some cases, you have to do this is more than just one, or two, or three, or more steps. As long as you keep the conversion straight, and make sure the units cancel out until you get the right units, this technique should work all the time.

Zz.

dagg3r said:
so i assume my answer is wrong? since i had 1cubic centimeter nearly 1000kg? so how would i correctly do the density question some one please show me thanks

What do you mean wrong? Your answer was 1370kg per cubic metre.

Related to This Cannot Be Density In Chem

1. What is density in chemistry?

Density in chemistry is a measure of the amount of matter (mass) in a given volume of a substance. It is typically expressed in units of grams per milliliter (g/mL) or grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3).

2. How is density calculated?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume. The formula for density is D = m/V, where D is density, m is mass, and V is volume. It is important to use consistent units when calculating density.

3. Why is density important in chemistry?

Density is important in chemistry because it can help identify and characterize substances. Different substances have different densities, so density can be used as a qualitative and quantitative property to distinguish between them. Density is also used in various calculations and experiments in chemistry.

4. How does temperature affect density?

Temperature can affect the density of a substance. Generally, as temperature increases, the density of a substance decreases. This is because molecules tend to move farther apart when heated, resulting in a larger volume for the same mass. However, there are exceptions to this trend, such as water which has its highest density at 4 degrees Celsius.

5. Can density be changed?

Density is an intrinsic property of a substance and cannot be changed. However, the density of a substance can appear to change when it undergoes a physical or chemical change. For example, when water freezes, its density decreases. This is because the molecules in ice are more spread out compared to liquid water, resulting in a lower density.