Third year QM assignment problem

In summary: This really helped me understand the problem better and come up with a more accurate solution.In summary, the conversation discusses analyzing the powers of x, y, and z in a given wavefunction and comparing them with the spherical harmonics. The goal is to determine which eigenfunctions of ##L^2## and ##L_z## may appear in the expansion of the wavefunction. By examining the dependency of the spherical harmonics on x, y, and z, it is determined that the allowed values of ##l## are 1 and the allowed values of ##m## are -1, 0, and 1. This leads to the conclusion that the allowed values of ##\hat{L}_{z}## are -\hbar,
karlhoffman_76
See the picture below for details. I have included my solution thus far, but it doesn't feel right and I'm just wondering what I am missing. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

f8lyXRl.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What about analyzing which powers of x,y, and z appear in the wavefunction and compare it with the spherical harmonics?
Comment to your second equation in your solution: ##\psi(\mathbf{r})## is supposed to be superposition of several eigenfunctions of ##L_z##, means you can't write the equation such that where you can associate the wavefunction with one value of m.

blue_leaf77 said:
What about analyzing which powers of x,y, and z appear in the wavefunction and compare it with the spherical harmonics?
Comment to your second equation in your solution: ##\psi(\mathbf{r})## is supposed to be superposition of several eigenfunctions of ##L_z##, means you can't write the equation such that where you can associate the wavefunction with one value of m.

Hey blue_leaf77, thanks for your reply. What do you mean by analyzing powers of x, y and z that appear in the wave function?

The purpose of the question is to check which eigenfunctions of ##L^2## and ##L_z## may appear when the original wavefunction is expanded as a sum of those eigenfunctions, which are the spherical harmonics ##Y_{lm}##. Now if you remember the characteristic dependency of ##Y_{lm}## w.r.t to the three coordinates x,y, and z is governed by the indices ##l## and ##m##. Using this fact you can get the first rough idea of which ##l## and ##m## are allowed to appear because they conform with the dependency of the original wavefunction to three coordinates. First of all, do you know how the spherical harmonics looks like and its dependency on x,y,z?

For example, ##Y_{2,-2} \propto (x-iy)^2##, by comparing this with the manner x,y, and z appear in the original wavefunction, do you think ##Y_{2,-2}## will appear in the expansion?

Last edited:
blue_leaf77 said:
The purpose of the question is to check which eigenfunctions of ##L^2## and ##L_z## may appear when the original wavefunction is expanded as a sum of those eigenfunctions, which are the spherical harmonics ##Y_{lm}##. Now if you remember the characteristic dependency of ##Y_{lm}## w.r.t to the three coordinates x,y, and z is governed by the indices ##l## and ##m##. Using this fact you can get the first rough idea of which ##l## and ##m## are allowed to appear because they conform with the dependency of the original wavefunction to three coordinates. First of all, do you know how the spherical harmonics looks like and its dependency on x,y,z?

For example, ##Y_{2,-2} \propto (x-iy)^2##, by comparing this with the manner x,y, and z appear in the original wavefunction, do you think ##Y_{2,-2}## will appear in the expansion?

I think I see where this is going now. Given that the final form of the expansion of ##(x-iy)^2## does not match the spherical harmonic (in terms of its Cartesian representation) of the wave function in question I would NOT expect to see ##Y_{2,-2}## in this particular wave function. So after reading your comments and looking into it a bit further I have a new solution. First of all, looking up a table of spherical harmonics I was able to ascertain that,

##x = \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{3}}r(Y_{1,-1}-Y_{1,1})##

##y = \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{3}}ir(Y_{1,1}+Y_{1,-1})##

##z = \sqrt{\frac{4\pi}{3}}rY_{1,0}##

and hence,

##\psi(\vec{r}) = (x+y+z)f(r) = \sqrt{\frac{2\pi}{3}}r[(Y_{1,-1}-Y_{1,1})+i(Y_{1,1}+Y_{1,-1})+\sqrt{2}Y_{1,0}]f(r)##

and so the allowed values of ##l## are ##l = 1## only and the allowed values of ##m## are ##m = -1,0,1##. Thus the allowed values of ##\hat{L}_{z}## are ##\hat{L}_{z} = -\hbar,0,\hbar## and the allowed values of ##\hat{L}^2## are ##\hat{L}^2 = 2\hbar^2## only.

yes, that's what I think the correct one.

blue_leaf77 said:
yes, that's what I think the correct one.

Thanks so much blue_leaf77!

Likes blue_leaf77

Related to Third year QM assignment problem

1. What is the third year QM assignment problem?

The third year QM assignment problem is a common assignment given to third year undergraduate students studying Quantum Mechanics. It typically involves applying the concepts and principles of quantum mechanics to solve a variety of problems and scenarios.

2. How difficult is the third year QM assignment?

The difficulty level of the third year QM assignment can vary depending on the specific questions and the student's understanding of quantum mechanics. However, it is generally considered to be a challenging assignment that requires a good understanding of the subject.

3. How much time should I dedicate to completing the third year QM assignment?

The amount of time needed to complete the third year QM assignment can vary depending on the individual's pace and understanding of the subject. It is recommended to start early and dedicate a few hours each day to work on the assignment to ensure enough time for thorough understanding and completion.

4. Can I use outside resources to help me with the third year QM assignment?

It is important to check with your professor or institution's guidelines on using outside resources for assignments. Some may allow it, while others may have strict rules against it. It is always best to seek clarification before using any external resources.

5. Are there any tips for approaching the third year QM assignment?

Some tips for approaching the third year QM assignment include reviewing notes and class materials, practicing similar problems, breaking down the assignment into smaller manageable tasks, and seeking help from classmates or professors if needed. It is also important to start early and not leave the assignment until the last minute.