Thionyl chloride is the double acid chloride of which acid?

• Thread starter MusicMonkey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary: For questions 1 and 2. I changed my answer to sulfur dioxide and HCl being formed. Is this correct? Did you go to York University?
MusicMonkey
1. Thionyl chloride is the double acid chloride of which acid? What are the
products of its reaction with water?

I think that it would be benzoyl chloride.
The products are HCl and HOS(double bonded to O) and single bonded to Cl.

2. Account for the acidity of the benzenesulfonamides derived from primary
amines.

Would it have anything to do with the fact that in order to crystallize HCl is added. I am not sure why else.

3. Why is NaOH necessary in the reactions with amines with acetic anhydride or benzenesulfonyl chloride? What would be the results if it were omitted?

I think one reason is because it allows for determination and distinguishing between primary, secondary and tertiary amines. I am not sure what the results would be if it were omitted.

Please help. Thank you :bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
For question 1. I changed my answer to sulfur dioxide and HCl being formed. Is this correct?

Did you go to York University?

Hey I just read your thread, and those are the exact questions from the York Lab manual. Did you ever find answers to those let me knoww
thanks
naushad

MusicMonkey said:
1. Thionyl chloride is the double acid chloride of which acid? What are the
products of its reaction with water?

I think that it would be benzoyl chloride.
The products are HCl and HOS(double bonded to O) and single bonded to Cl.

2. Account for the acidity of the benzenesulfonamides derived from primary
amines.

Would it have anything to do with the fact that in order to crystallize HCl is added. I am not sure why else.

3. Why is NaOH necessary in the reactions with amines with acetic anhydride or benzenesulfonyl chloride? What would be the results if it were omitted?

I think one reason is because it allows for determination and distinguishing between primary, secondary and tertiary amines. I am not sure what the results would be if it were omitted.

Please help. Thank you :bugeye:

Related to Thionyl chloride is the double acid chloride of which acid?

1. What is thionyl chloride?

Thionyl chloride is a colorless liquid compound with the chemical formula SOCl2. It is primarily used as a reagent in organic synthesis and as a reactant in the production of other chemicals.

2. What is the structure of thionyl chloride?

The structure of thionyl chloride consists of an SOCl2 molecule, with a sulfur atom bonded to an oxygen atom and two chlorine atoms. It has a trigonal planar molecular geometry.

3. What is the double acid chloride of thionyl chloride?

The double acid chloride of thionyl chloride is formed when two molecules of thionyl chloride react with each other, resulting in the formation of a compound with the formula (SOCl)2.

4. Which acid is thionyl chloride derived from?

Thionyl chloride is derived from sulfuric acid (H2SO4) through the process of chlorination. This results in the replacement of two hydroxyl groups with two chlorine atoms.

5. What are the uses of thionyl chloride?

Thionyl chloride has a variety of uses, including as a reagent in organic synthesis, in the production of pharmaceuticals and pesticides, and as a solvent for some reactions. It is also used in the production of lithium-ion batteries and as a dehydrating agent in the production of certain chemicals.