Thinking about electronic collisions with hydrogen.

In summary, the conversation revolves around the potential outcomes of shooting an electron at a hydrogen atom. The two possibilities are absorption in an inelastic collision or scattering in an elastic collision. The approximate threshold values for these cases are discussed, with the understanding that scattering would occur if the electron has energy less than the ground state of hydrogen, and absorption would occur if the energy is greater than the ionization potential of H^-.
IHateMayonnaise
This seems like such a simple question and I feel like an idiot asking it, but here goes:

If we have a hydrogen atom (not molecule) at "rest" and we shoot an electron at it with a certain known energy, what could happen?

To me, it seems as though there are two distinct outcomes; either the electron is absorbed in an inelastic collision, or scattered in an elastic collision.

What are the approximate threshold values for these cases? I.e. if I send in an electron that has energy less than the ground state of hydrogen (say 5 eV) it seems to me that scattering would occur. And it seems like this would be the case all the way up to right before 13.6ev, and anything more would result in absorption.

Is my thinking flawed? Should I be thinking more of what the ionization potential of what [itex]H^-[/itex] should be?

Thanks Yall

IHateMayonnaise

Physics news on Phys.org
nobody? :(

Related to Thinking about electronic collisions with hydrogen.

1. What is an electronic collision with hydrogen?

An electronic collision with hydrogen refers to the interaction between an electron and a hydrogen atom. This can occur in various scenarios, such as in a particle accelerator or in a chemical reaction.

2. How do electronic collisions with hydrogen affect chemical reactions?

Electronic collisions with hydrogen can impact chemical reactions by altering the electronic configuration of the hydrogen atom, leading to changes in the reactivity and stability of the molecule. This can result in the formation of new products or the breakdown of existing molecules.

3. What are the potential applications of studying electronic collisions with hydrogen?

The study of electronic collisions with hydrogen has many potential applications, such as in understanding fundamental physical processes, developing new technologies, and improving our understanding of various chemical reactions. It can also provide insights into the behavior of atoms and molecules in extreme conditions.

4. How do scientists study electronic collisions with hydrogen?

Scientists can study electronic collisions with hydrogen using various experimental techniques, such as particle accelerators, spectroscopy, and computational simulations. These methods allow for the observation and analysis of the interactions between electrons and hydrogen atoms.

5. What are the potential implications of electronic collisions with hydrogen in understanding the universe?

Electronic collisions with hydrogen play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies. By studying these collisions, scientists can gain a better understanding of the dynamics of the universe and its origins. Additionally, electronic collisions with hydrogen are also important in understanding the formation of complex molecules necessary for life to exist.