Thin lense combined with a concave mirror

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations and ray diagrams to solve problems involving a diverging lens. The focal length is negative for a diverging lens, and the image is virtual and negative as well. The equation -1/f = +1/1.5f + 1/i is used to find the image distance, which is then used to solve for subsequent images. To solve for the first image, the lens can be treated as if it is not there.
hmsmatthew

Homework Statement

Untitled.png

Homework Equations

1/f=1/i + 1/p
m=-i/p

Where m is magnification, i is image distance, p is object distance, and f is the focal length.

The Attempt at a Solution

1/f = 1/1.5f + 1/i
i=3f

I have also attempted to draw a ray diagram to use the image of the object through the lens as a starting point for the object to be reflected by the mirror. Using a conventional ray diagram i cannot equal 3f, this does not make sense with a diverging lense. My diagram has gone nowhere and i cannot upload it with ease.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Physics final exam is next week !

Physics news on Phys.org
hmsmatthew said:
1/f = 1/1.5f + 1/i
i=3f
Realize that for a diverging lens the focal length is negative.

Doc Al said:
Realize that for a diverging lens the focal length is negative.

yes i realize this, and the image is also virtual and negative. i thought algebraically you treat the variables as if they are unknown when solving for something ?

hmsmatthew said:
yes i realize this, and the image is also virtual and negative.
But your equation does not reflect that fact.
i thought algebraically you treat the variables as if they are unknown when solving for something ?
The focal length is not an unknown.

Doc Al said:
But your equation does not reflect that fact.

The focal length is not an unknown.

Ok i think i have the answer now. I think its safe to say -1/f = +1/1.5f + 1/i which gives i=-0.6f

This agrees with my ray diagram.

From there i think i can treat each image as if it were an object for the reflection and refraction. In this way i can get image 2 and image 3. Only trouble is, image 1 is behind the lens, so not sure if i can treat it as a object and pretend the lens isn't there hmmmm ?

:)

hmsmatthew said:
Ok i think i have the answer now. I think its safe to say -1/f = +1/1.5f + 1/i which gives i=-0.6f

This agrees with my ray diagram.

From there i think i can treat each image as if it were an object for the reflection and refraction. In this way i can get image 2 and image 3.
All good.
Only trouble is, image 1 is behind the lens, so not sure if i can treat it as a object and pretend the lens isn't there hmmmm ?
That's exactly what you need to do.

Related to Thin lense combined with a concave mirror

1. What is the purpose of combining a thin lens with a concave mirror?

The purpose of combining a thin lens with a concave mirror is to create a telescopic system that can provide magnified images of distant objects. The lens helps to focus the light rays, while the concave mirror helps to reflect and further magnify the image.

2. How does a thin lens and concave mirror combination affect the image formed?

The combination of a thin lens and concave mirror affects the image formed by increasing its size and magnification. This is because the light rays are being both refracted and reflected, resulting in a more powerful magnification of the image.

3. What are the advantages of using a thin lens and concave mirror combination over other optical systems?

The advantages of using a thin lens and concave mirror combination include a larger field of view, higher magnification capabilities, and the ability to observe distant objects with greater clarity. This combination also allows for a more compact and portable optical system compared to other methods.

4. What are the limitations of using a thin lens and concave mirror combination?

One limitation of using a thin lens and concave mirror combination is that it can only provide magnified images of distant objects. It is also limited in its ability to produce sharp and clear images, as the quality of the image is affected by factors such as lens imperfections and atmospheric conditions.

5. How can the image formed by a thin lens and concave mirror combination be improved?

The image formed by a thin lens and concave mirror combination can be improved by using higher quality lenses and mirrors, reducing any external factors that may distort the image, and making precise adjustments to the positioning of the components. Additionally, using a larger aperture and decreasing the distance between the lens and the mirror can also result in a clearer and sharper image.