Thin Film Interference (Interferometer)

In summary, when a gas is allowed to slowly fill a small glass container, a total of 236 dark fringes are counted. The index of refraction of the gas is calculated to be 1.30.
turdferguson

Homework Statement

One of the beams of an interferometer passes through a small glass container containing a cavity 1.30 cm deep. When a gas is allowed to slowly fill thr container, a total of 236 dark fringes are counted to move past a reference line. The light used has a wavelength of 610 nm. Calculate the index of refraction of the gas, assuming the interferometer is in a vacuum

Homework Equations

extra distance = m*lambda/n = twice the depth

d=vt ??

The Attempt at a Solution

The first dark spot occurs when the extra distance is half the new lambda. This means the 236th dark spot occurs when m = 235.5 I attempted to solve for n by equating this to twice the depth, but got something way lower than 1. I must be missing something big. Does the glass container outside play a role?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by 'new' lambda. The wavelength does not change, only the phase, surely ? If the lines are displaced by 236*lambda/2 then the final phase change must equal this. Though, I must admit it seems a large value for 1.3 cm of gas.

As a beam of light moves into a material of higher index of refraction, its speed slows down to c/n and its wavelength shortens to lambda/n. Frequency is held constant

Thank you, I'm sorry if I wasted your time.

I think the extra distance you're after is 1.3(n-1) which I got by working out how much longer it takes to get through and multiplying by c.

Mentz114 said:
Thank you, I'm sorry if I wasted your time.

I think the extra distance you're after is 1.3(n-1) which I got by working out how much longer it takes to get through and multiplying by c.
I don't follow, can you explain how you determined the time?

I get n = 1.001537. Could be Carbon disulphide or Ethyl ether

But I could also be wrong.

[I've just seen your post]

t1 = 1.30/c
t2= 1.30/(c/n)

t2-t1 = 1.3n/c - 1.3/c

(t2-t1)*c = 1.3(n-1)

Ok, that makes sense. But I used 1.3(n-1)=235.5(lambda)/n and got a quadratic with a root at 1.01093 Thanks for the help

Well, I think the interference is at the unslowed wavelength, so your 1/n factor on the right isn't needed. Also, your value is much higher than any real gas ( that I know of).

Glad to be be of some help.

Last edited:

Related to Thin Film Interference (Interferometer)

1. What is thin film interference?

Thin film interference is a phenomenon where light waves reflect and interfere with each other as they pass through a thin film, resulting in color changes or patterns.

2. How does an interferometer work?

An interferometer is a device that uses the principle of thin film interference to measure small changes in the distance between two objects. It works by splitting a light beam into two separate paths, then recombining them to create an interference pattern that can be measured.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two light waves combine to create a larger amplitude, resulting in a brighter or more intense light. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when the two waves cancel each other out, resulting in a dimmer light or even darkness.

4. How is thin film interference used in practical applications?

Thin film interference has a wide range of practical applications, including in the production of anti-reflective coatings for glasses and camera lenses, as well as in the creation of colorful patterns on soap bubbles and oil slicks. It is also used in the measurement of small distances and in the study of atomic and molecular structures.

5. What factors affect thin film interference?

The main factors that affect thin film interference are the thickness of the film, the refractive index of the material, and the angle at which the light hits the film. These factors can change the path length of the light waves, resulting in different interference patterns and colors.