Thin film interference concept

In summary, according to my equation sheet, the equation for dark spots is 2nt = mλ and for bright spots is 2nt = (m + 0.5)λ. However, if a phase shift of 180 degrees occurs because the light hits something with a higher index of refraction (n), then the equation for dark spots and bright spots changes. If two phase shifts occur, they remain the same as if no phase shifts occur.Now I read wikipedia, and it seems to be the exact opposite of what is on my formula sheet. Am I reading this wrong, or which source is wrong?! I don't get itYou are using a textbook called "College physics" by Serway. According to the textbook,
Woopy
Hello, I am having some difficulties understanding this concept. It seems like wikipedia and my notes/teacher contradict each other

According to my equation sheet, the equation for dark spots is 2nt = mλ and for bright spots is 2nt = (m + 0.5)λ. However, if a phase shift of 180 degrees occurs because the light hits something with a higher index of refraction (n), then the equation for dark spots and bright spots changes. If two phase shifts occur, they remain the same as if no phase shifts occur

Now I read wikipedia, and it seems to be the exact opposite of what is on my formula sheet. Am I reading this wrong, or which source is wrong?! I don't get it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin-film_interference

look at the articles about Soap bubble and anti-reflection coatings

Science news on Phys.org
Woopy said:
According to my equation sheet, the equation for dark spots is 2nt = mλ and for bright spots is 2nt = (m + 0.5)λ.
Seems backwards to me, assuming no phase shifts on reflection occur. The first gives the criteria for constructive interference and thus bright spots; the second, destructive interference and dark spots.

reading the textbook also confirms, it says ''in general, the condition for constructive interference in thin films is 2nt = (m + 0.5)λ. 24.9

This condition takes into account two factors (1) the difference in path length for the two rays and (2) the 180 degree phase change upon reflection.

If the extra distance 2t traveled by th ray 2 is a multiple of λn, the two waves combine out of phase and the result is destructive interference. The general equation for destructive interference in thin films is 2nt = mλ. 24.10

Equations 24.9 and 24.10 for constructive and destructive interference are valid when there is one one phase reversal.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, those equations are already assuming that it has undergone one phase shift? And if it undergoes 2 phase shifts, then the equations change?? My teacher did not make this clear at all, so I am really confused

Woopy said:
So if I'm understanding this correctly, those equations are already assuming that it has undergone one phase shift? And if it undergoes 2 phase shifts, then the equations change??
Yes. But rather than rely on rote memory, understand the principle. For destructive interference to take place, the net phase difference must be an odd multiple of λ/2. If a phase shift already gives you λ/2, then the thickness had better give you an integral multiple of λ to maintain the destructive interference.

What book are you using?

College physics by Serway. Also, I didn't comprehend your statement, particularly

''For destructive interference to take place, the net phase difference must be an odd multiple of λ/2. If a phase shift already gives you λ/2, then the thickness had better give you an integral multiple of λ to maintain the destructive interference.''

You want the total net phase difference of the two reflections--due to the combination of phase shifts on reflection and the thickness of the film--to be an odd multiple of λ/2 for destructive interference. (And an integral multiple of λ for constructive interference.)

Does that make sense?

Here's a good discussion of thin film interference: Thin Film Reflection and Interference

the questions we always deal with either have 0, 1, or 2 phase changes. Does 0 and 2 phase changes share an equation and 1 phase change has its equation?

Woopy said:
Does 0 and 2 phase changes share an equation and 1 phase change has its equation?
Right. 0 and 2 phase changes end up with same equations, while a single phase change has different equations.

So to make this 100% clear so that there is no shadow of a doubt in my mind, this is how the equations look:

0 or 2 phase changes:
bright: 2nt = mλ
dark: 2nt = (m + 0.5)λ

1 phase change:
bright: 2nt = (m + 0.5)λ
dark: 2nt = mλ

Correct!

I still can't understand why the textbook/my teacher has to be so convoluted about explaining this. If someone just told me things straight up instead of eating around the bush, I probably wouldn't struggle so much in physics >_>

Related to Thin film interference concept

What is thin film interference?

Thin film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves are reflected off the top and bottom surfaces of a thin, transparent film. Depending on the thickness of the film and the wavelength of the light, the waves can either interfere constructively or destructively, resulting in a variety of colors or patterns.

How does thin film interference work?

Thin film interference works due to the principle of superposition, where the waves from the top and bottom surfaces combine to form a resultant wave. If the peaks and troughs of the waves align, they will constructively interfere and produce bright colors. If they are out of phase, they will destructively interfere and produce dark colors or no color at all.

What is the difference between thin film interference and thick film interference?

Thin film interference occurs when the thickness of the film is on the order of the wavelength of the light, typically in the nanometer range. Thick film interference, on the other hand, occurs when the thickness is much larger, on the order of micrometers or even millimeters. This leads to different interference patterns and color effects.

What are some real-life applications of thin film interference?

Thin film interference is utilized in a variety of everyday products, such as anti-reflective coatings on glasses, LCD displays, and anti-glare coatings on phone screens. It is also used in industrial processes, such as in the production of thin film solar cells and optical coatings for lenses and mirrors.

How is thin film interference related to the colors seen in oil slicks and soap bubbles?

Oil slicks and soap bubbles are both examples of thin films that exhibit interference. The thin layer of oil on top of water or the thin layer of soap film both reflect light and create interference patterns, resulting in the colorful display we see. The colors seen depend on the thickness of the film and the incident light's angle and wavelength.