Thin film intereference basic question

In summary, there is no single formula for calculating thickness in thin film interference problems. The formula used depends on the specific interference and relative indices of refraction between the thin film and surrounding media. It is important to consider each case individually when determining which formula to use.
perilawaits
This is not a homework problem but a general problem I've been having when studying for physics.

What is the formula for "thickness" for thin film interference problems?

I read somewhere that there are a variety of equations that can be used--depending on interferences, and etc--however, I just need a solid list of formulas.

I've looked through my book and the Internet, and I'm finding a variety of formulas, but none of these sources tell me when to apply each specific thickness formula.

Can anyone provide a list of formulas and when to use them?

I would greatly appreciate any assistance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, there is no such formula. The reason is that the same formula that gives the thickness for constructive interference for one film will give the thickness for destructive interference for another film. It all depends on the relative indices of refraction between the thin film and the two media on either side of it. You need to consider each case on its merits.

Related to Thin film intereference basic question

1. What is thin film interference?

Thin film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light passes through a thin film, such as a layer of oil on water or a soap bubble, causing it to reflect and refract in a way that creates visible colors. It is the result of constructive and destructive interference of light waves as they travel through the film.

2. How does thin film interference work?

Thin film interference is caused by the difference in the refractive index of the two materials that make up the film. When light waves pass through the film, some of the waves are reflected at the top surface, while others are reflected at the bottom surface. These reflected waves then interfere with each other, either constructively or destructively, depending on the thickness of the film and the wavelength of the light.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves combine and their amplitudes add together, resulting in a wave with a larger amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when two waves combine and their amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a wave with a smaller amplitude.

4. What factors affect thin film interference?

The thickness of the film, the wavelength of the light, and the refractive index of the materials that make up the film are the main factors that affect thin film interference. The angle of incidence and the angle of reflection can also play a role in the interference pattern.

5. What are some real-world applications of thin film interference?

Thin film interference is used in many everyday objects, such as anti-reflective coatings on glasses and camera lenses, holographic images, and iridescent colors in soap bubbles and oil slicks. It is also an important concept in fields such as optics, materials science, and biology.