Thickness of steel required for shielding magnetic field

In summary, you need to use a steel that won't saturate the magnet, and the thickness of the material will depend on the strength of the magnet and the frequency of the magnetic field.
akashverma
thickness of steel plate required to stop interaction between 3' dia neodymium magnet

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can shield one magnet from another one... you didn't say what the shielding would be "between".
The shielding effect depends on the grade of steel... you need enough that it won't saturate, so how much you'd need also depends on the strength of the magnet.

Three feet diameter neodymium magnets?

Vanadium 50 said:
Three feet diameter neodymium magnets?
I'm sorry,that was a mistake its 3 inch dia

Simon Bridge said:
I don't think you can shield one magnet from another one... you didn't say what the shielding would be "between".
The shielding effect depends on the grade of steel... you need enough that it won't saturate, so how much you'd need also depends on the strength of the magnet.
You can't cancel magnetic field but can redirect it which effects the interaction between magnets or other materials.
Yes, thickness of shielding material depends on various factors which includes magnetic field strength, its Frequency and material permeability.

Even 3" is very big.

You're not going to ever completely stop the interaction. If you put up a piece of iron, the magnet will still feel the force from the iron.

I got my answer.
Thanks for your involvement.

akashverma said:
I got my answer.
Thanks for your involvement.

What is the answer?

SACHIN M said:
What is the answer?
Well It depends on your question.
I just posted that question to get an insight of some other problem.
If you can elaborate your question then maybe I can help you.

"Steel" is not a well specified material. There are lots and lots of different types, and many are almost completely non-magnetic (this is especially true for stainless steel); i.e. the steel won't affect the magnetic field at all (this is why you can build e.g. NMR and MRI machines out of steel). Iron is of course ferromagnetic, but pure iron is not actually used that often.
Hence, in order to be able to be able to start to answer the question you need to specify the type of steel used.

f95toli said:
"Steel" is not a well specified material. There are lots and lots of different types, and many are almost completely non-magnetic (this is especially true for stainless steel); i.e. the steel won't affect the magnetic field at all (this is why you can build e.g. NMR and MRI machines out of steel). Iron is of course ferromagnetic, but pure iron is not actually used that often.
Hence, in order to be able to be able to start to answer the question you need to specify the type of steel used.
Plain Carbon Steel

You can not shield them completely.
How thickness affects shielding is shown here

article2010.01.pic3p.gif

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=shielding-materials

Related to Thickness of steel required for shielding magnetic field

1. How does the thickness of steel impact its ability to shield a magnetic field?

The thickness of steel affects its ability to shield a magnetic field by increasing the distance between the magnetic field source and the protected area. This distance reduces the strength of the magnetic field that can pass through the steel, making it a more effective shielding material.

2. What is the relationship between the strength of the magnetic field and the required thickness of steel for shielding?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the required thickness of steel for shielding. This means that as the strength of the magnetic field increases, the thickness of steel needed for effective shielding also increases.

3. How do I determine the appropriate thickness of steel for shielding a specific magnetic field?

The appropriate thickness of steel for shielding a specific magnetic field can be determined using the magnetic field strength and the permeability of the steel. These values can be used in a mathematical formula to calculate the required thickness for effective shielding.

4. Are there any other factors besides thickness that can affect the ability of steel to shield a magnetic field?

Yes, the type of steel and its composition can also affect its ability to shield a magnetic field. Generally, steels with high nickel or iron content have better magnetic shielding properties compared to other types of steel.

5. Can the thickness of steel be reduced if additional shielding measures are taken?

Yes, the thickness of steel required for shielding a magnetic field can be reduced if additional measures are taken, such as using multiple layers of steel or incorporating other materials with high magnetic permeability. However, the specific requirements will depend on the strength of the magnetic field and the desired level of shielding.