Thickness between glass plates

In summary, when two glass plates are placed together and their is a gap of thickness "t", contructive and destructive interference leads to interference patterns as described. However, at what thickness will these patterns no longer be visible, at least by eye? Basically, I find tons of things saying, "from the inner and outer surface of a bubble light is reflected and interfers... and patterns show depending on m*lambda... " But at what upper limit of the integer wavelengths of light does this stop? If you have two glass plates 1cm apart, clearly you don't see interference due to the gap between them, but what about 1mm? 100um? Thanks much, jet.
jetpeach
Hi, I generally understand interference and Newton's ring/Young's double slit experiments, but I can't find the answer to a pretty simple question:
When two glass plates are placed together and their is a gap of thickness "t", contructive and destructive interference leads to interference patterns as described http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/PY106/Diffraction.html
but at what thickness will these patterns no longer be visible, at least by eye? Basically, I find tons of things saying, "from the inner and outer surface of a bubble light is reflected and interfers... and patterns show depending on m*lambda... " But at what upper limit of the integer wavelengths of light does this stop? If you have two glass plates 1cm apart, clearly you don't see interference due to the gap between them, but what about 1mm? 100um?

Basically, one of my advisors states that because we can see interference patterns between our glass plates, they are separated by at most a few wavelengths of light, but I'm wondering why or how this is the case and if I can prove it. Thanks for any help! Be back in the morning to follow up,
jet

Physics news on Phys.org
The presence of the interference pattern also depends on a radiation source. Because of reflections from different spots, the reflected waves reach an observer with a time delay. So the source should keep its phase during that time interval.
Usual non-laser sources have very short coherence time, so we cannot see any coherence if interfering waves arrives with a delay of several periods. Lasers, on the other hands, can keep their coherence longer, so we can see an interference pattern resulting from reflections from more separated surfaces. Now there will be another problem- to keep the distance constant with a precision better then wavelength.

thanks

Ahhh, coherence time (and length) seem to provide be the answer to my question.
just if anyone else is interested
http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae372.cfm
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/C/Co/Coherence_length.htm
Thanks much, jetpeach

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Thickness between glass plates

1. What is the purpose of measuring the thickness between glass plates?

The thickness between glass plates is often measured in scientific experiments to determine the distance between two surfaces, which can be used to calculate other important parameters such as pressure or refractive index.

2. How is the thickness between glass plates measured?

The thickness between glass plates can be measured using various techniques such as interferometry, optical microscopy, or mechanical methods like a micrometer or caliper. The choice of method depends on the precision and accuracy required for the specific experiment.

3. What factors can affect the thickness between glass plates?

The thickness between glass plates can be affected by various factors such as the type of glass used, temperature, pressure, and the method of measurement. It is important to control these factors to ensure accurate and consistent measurements.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of my thickness measurements?

To improve the accuracy of thickness measurements, it is important to use high-quality glass plates with a uniform thickness, calibrate measuring instruments regularly, and perform multiple measurements to reduce errors. It is also crucial to follow a standardized procedure and ensure proper handling of the glass plates.

5. What are some applications of measuring thickness between glass plates?

The measurement of thickness between glass plates has various applications in scientific research, manufacturing, and quality control. It is commonly used in fields such as optics, materials science, and microelectronics to study the properties of materials and ensure consistency in production processes.