Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits

In summary: A.In summary, this conversation demonstrates how to find the Thévenin and Norton equivalent circuits when there is a resistor in between two nodes. In this case, the Thévenin equivalent circuit has a current flowing through the resistor of 1.3948 mA.
TwinCamGTS
Hi guys,
Sorry if all you guys think this question is too easy. But I have a hard time to understand how to group the resistor. I suppose to find the the thevenin and Norton equivalent circuit. This is what i think about the combination of resistor.

Req1= RL+1k
Req2= Req1 ll 3.3k (3.3k after node a)
Req3= Req2 + 3.3k (3.3k before node a)
Req4= Req3 ll 5.6k

Is my prediction correct?
20150209_033447.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you mean. I always find it best to redraw the circuit with the load nodes A and B shown on the right, one above the other, with the rest of the circuit redrawn as simply as possible to accommodate that and THEN worry about series/parallel reductions.

When you redraw the circuit, omit the load. The load is not part of the Thèvenin equivalent of the source.

You might understand things better if you first work out the Thèvenin voltage, and leave the resistance calculation until last.

:blushing:
First of all I have to apologize for my mistake!
I thought it was a very simple question and
it was only an example how to proceed generally.
I think it was better to recommend a link how to solve this kind of problems. There are a lot of links on the web treating specifically this.

For instance: http://www.calvin.edu/~svleest/circuitExamples/TheveninNorton/

As a check, you could imagine a short-circuit wire between a and b, and calculate how much current would flow. Does your Thévenin equivalent suggest that same value?

Last edited:
Babadag said:
:blushing:
First of all I have to apologize for my mistake!
I thought it was a very simple question and
it was only an example how to proceed generally.
I think it was better to recommend a link how to solve this kind of problems. There are a lot of links on the web treating specifically this.

For instance: http://www.calvin.edu/~svleest/circuitExamples/TheveninNorton/
Yes, and people with initiative will generally look for such solutions online but some just come here, which is fine, and we try to help them HERE rather than just doing the online search that they could have done for themselves.

Thank you NascentOxygen .The short-circuit current according to Thevenin rule V=I*Rth+Vth

If V=0 then Isc=-Vth/Rth Isc=-3.485/2.4985=-1.39484 mA.

If we shall short-circuit point a and b the total current will be 10/(3.3*5.6/(3.3+5.6)+3.3*1/(3.3+1))=3.51636 mA.

The current flowing in each resistance will be:

for 3.3k 3.51636*5.6/(3.3+5.6)=2.2125 mA.

for 5.6k 1.3038 mA.

for second 3.3k -0.81776 [it leaves the point a].

and for 1k -2.6986mA[it leaves the point b].

The sum of currents in point a will be:

Isca+2.2125-0.81776=0 Isca= -1.3948 mA.

-Iscb+1.3038-2.6986=0 Iscb=-1.3948

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-19_12-33-45.png
    upload_2015-2-19_12-33-45.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 489

Related to Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits

1. What are Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits?

Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits are two methods used to simplify complex electrical circuits into a single voltage source and resistor, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the circuit.

2. How do you calculate the Thevenin equivalent circuit?

To calculate the Thevenin equivalent circuit, you need to find the open-circuit voltage (VTH) and the equivalent resistance (RTH) of the circuit. VTH is the voltage measured across the open circuit terminals, and RTH is the resistance between those terminals when all independent sources are turned off.

3. What is the difference between Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits?

The main difference between Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits is the way the equivalent resistance is calculated. In Thevenin, it is determined by turning off all independent sources and finding the resistance between the open circuit terminals. In Norton, it is found by turning off all independent sources and calculating the short-circuit current (IN) between the short-circuit terminals.

4. Why are Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits important?

Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits are important because they allow us to simplify complex circuits into a single voltage source and resistor, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the circuit. This simplification is especially useful in the design and analysis of electrical systems.

5. Can Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits be used for all types of circuits?

Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits can be used for linear circuits, which means that the components in the circuit follow Ohm's Law and have constant values. They are not applicable to non-linear circuits, such as those including diodes or transistors, as these components do not follow Ohm's Law.