Thermofluids -Finding the temperature of Combustion

In summary, the question is asking about estimating the adiabatic temperature of combustion when 1 kmol of gaseous methane is mixed with the correct amount of air in a closed vessel, with a pressure of 1 bar and a temperature of 298 K. The answer is approximately 2743 K, and to solve this problem, you will need to use the combustion equation and find the number of moles for stoichiometric conditions. You will also need to consider the heats of formation of the reactants and products to calculate the heat of reaction at 1 bar and 298 K.
Tommybc
Question:
1 kmol of gaseous methane (CH 4) is mixed with the correct amount of air in a closed vessel. The pressure and temperature of the mixture are 1 bar and 298 K respectively. The mixture is ignited. Estimate the adiabatic temperature of combustion.

Answer: ~2743 K

OK, so first I acquired the combustion equation and found the number of moles for stoichmetric conditions.

CH4 + x[O2+ (79/21)N2] → ACO2 + BH2O +CN2

Here by balancing the equation, I found that
CH4 + 2[O2+ (79/21)N2] → CO2 + 2H2O +7.5N2

Now I have a reference temperature, 298K which conveniently is 25° at 1 bar. This reads well with my steam table book for the products and reactants.

Considering Enthalpy of reactants: ΔH0=ΔU0+pdv=∑micp(T0-Tref)

I can find the mass of constitutes but what about the enthalpys? At the referenced temperature I find Methane, O2 and N2 to be zero which makes the equation unsolvable. Could anyone point me in the right direction at least giving me the correct steps for this.

Many thanks

Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the heats of formation of the reactants and of the products from your table? From these values, you should be able to calculate the heat of reaction at 1 bar and 298. What is that?

Chet

Related to Thermofluids -Finding the temperature of Combustion

1. What is thermofluids?

Thermofluids is a branch of science that deals with the study of heat and fluid dynamics, including how temperature affects the behavior of fluids and how heat is transferred through different materials.

2. Why is it important to find the temperature of combustion?

The temperature of combustion is a critical factor in understanding the efficiency and performance of various combustion processes, such as internal combustion engines and power plants. It also plays a crucial role in controlling emissions and ensuring safe operating conditions.

3. How is the temperature of combustion determined?

The temperature of combustion can be determined through various methods, including thermocouples, infrared sensors, and thermographic imaging. These techniques measure the heat released during combustion and convert it into temperature readings.

4. What factors can affect the temperature of combustion?

Several factors can influence the temperature of combustion, such as fuel composition, air-to-fuel ratio, and combustion chamber design. The type of fuel and its properties, such as calorific value and chemical composition, can also impact the temperature of combustion.

5. How can the temperature of combustion be controlled?

The temperature of combustion can be controlled by adjusting the fuel-to-air ratio, changing the fuel type or composition, and optimizing the combustion chamber design. Other methods include preheating the air or fuel, using heat exchangers, and implementing advanced combustion technologies.