Thermofluids: Air Flow Measurement (Pitot & Venturi)

In summary, the student conducted an experiment to measure air flow using a pitot static tube and a venturi meter. The first attempt involved connecting both long and short manometers to the pitot static tube, while the second attempt involved connecting them to the venturi meter. The volumetric flow rate was found to be 0.554 m3/s for the pitot tube and 0.3436 m3/s for the venturi meter. The student questioned whether the flow rate should have been the same for both methods and if there is a correction factor for the non-uniform velocity in the duct. Unfortunately, they did not have access to the equipment to repeat the experiment.
nightingale

Homework Statement

I did an experiment to measure air flow using a pitot static tube and a venturi meter.
First attempt: I connected both long and short manometers to the pitot static tube. Then I switch on the fan. The difference in manometer reading is 0.59kPa, which is the pressure. Then I found the volumetric flow rate to be 0.55386.

Second attempt: I connected both long and short manometers to the venturi meter. Then I switch on the fan. The difference in manometer reading is 1.24kPa, which is the pressure. Then I found the volumetric flow rate to be 0.34575.

What I don't understand is that, should theoretically the volumetric flow rate of both of them the same? Or it is supposed to be different? Why is it different? Thank you.

Homework Equations

Pitot tube:
Q = a*vm
a = area of duct (duct diameter 0.15m)
vm = 1.291*sqrt Pv

Venturi Meter:
Q = Cd*a2 〖[2∆P/ {ρ(1-〖(a_2/a_1 )〗^2)}]〗^0.5

Cd= 0.98
d1= duct diameter 0.15m, a1= duct area
d2= Throat diameter (0.095) a2= throat area
ρ= 1.2 kg/m^3

The Attempt at a Solution

Pitot-static tube:
vm = 1.291 √(P_v )
vm = 1.291 √(0.59×〖10〗^3 )
vm = 31.36 m2/s

Q = avm
Q = π/4×〖0.15〗^2×31.36
Q = 0.554 m3/s

Venturi meter:
Q = Cda2 〖[2∆P/ {ρ(1-〖(a_2/a_1 )〗^2)}]〗^0.5 (m3/s)
Q = 0.98 × π/4 ×〖0.095〗^2 〖[2×1.23×〖10〗^3/ {1.2(1-〖(〖0.095〗^2/〖0.15〗^2 )〗^2)}]〗^0.5
Q = 6.943×〖10〗^(-3) 〖[2460/(1.2 × 0.839)]〗^0.5
Q = 0.3436 m3/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you try the experiment again but move the pitot tube to different positions within the duct cross section?

paisiello2 said:
Can you try the experiment again but move the pitot tube to different positions within the duct cross section?

Unfortunately, I can't. I am not given the access to the pitot and venturi meter after the lab session was finished.

I remembered I put it in the middle to obtain max velocity pressure though.

So should there be a correction factor to account for the fact that the velocity is not uniform along the cross section of the duct? This might explain why the pitot value is higher than the venturi value.

Likes 1 person
The truth is I don't know. Do you mean a correction factor for the pitot static tube?
Does this mean that, theoretically, the value of the flow rate should have been the same?
Thank you very much.

Yes, that's what I mean.

Related to Thermofluids: Air Flow Measurement (Pitot & Venturi)

1. What is the difference between a Pitot tube and a Venturi tube?

A Pitot tube is a device used to measure the velocity of a fluid, while a Venturi tube is used to measure the flow rate of a fluid. The Pitot tube measures the impact pressure of the fluid, while the Venturi tube measures the pressure difference between the constriction and the wider part of the tube.

2. How does a Pitot tube measure air flow?

A Pitot tube has two openings - one facing directly into the air flow and one facing perpendicular to the flow. The difference in pressure between these two openings is used to calculate the velocity of the air. This information, along with the cross-sectional area of the tube, can then be used to determine the air flow rate.

3. What are the advantages of using a Venturi tube for air flow measurement?

One advantage of using a Venturi tube is that it has a lower pressure drop compared to other flow measurement devices. This means that it has less of an effect on the flow of the fluid being measured. Additionally, Venturi tubes have a higher accuracy and repeatability compared to other flow meters.

4. How do you calibrate a Pitot or Venturi tube?

To calibrate a Pitot or Venturi tube, you will need to measure the flow rate of a known fluid with a reference flow meter. The measured flow rate can then be compared to the flow rate calculated using the Pitot or Venturi tube. Any discrepancies can be used to adjust the calibration of the tube.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of air flow measurements using Pitot or Venturi tubes?

The accuracy of air flow measurements using Pitot or Venturi tubes can be affected by factors such as turbulence in the flow, blockage or damage to the tube, and changes in the fluid's density or viscosity. It is important to properly maintain and calibrate the tubes to ensure accurate measurements.