Thermoelectric Effect in Polarized Conductors

In summary, the Thermoelectric Effect refers to the development of a voltage and temperature difference in a conductor with finite resistance when there is a temperature difference or voltage applied across the conductor. However, placing a conductor in an electric field and polarizing it will not result in a temperature difference between its ends, as the conductor will become an equipotential body.
Smacal1072
Hi All,

I was just reading about the Thermoelectric Effect, and had a question:

In this phenomenon, when there is a temperature difference on each side of a conductor with a finite resistance, a voltage develops (due to diffusion of electrons). Similarly, when a voltage is applied across a conductor, a temperature difference develops.

My question is, if we place a conductor in an electric field, polarizing it, will a temperature difference develop between the ends of the conductor? From my understanding, a voltage will develop across a conductor when it is placed in a electric field.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Smacal1072 said:
Hi All,

I was just reading about the Thermoelectric Effect, and had a question:

In this phenomenon, when there is a temperature difference on each side of a conductor with a finite resistance, a voltage develops (due to diffusion of electrons). Similarly, when a voltage is applied across a conductor, a temperature difference develops.

My question is, if we place a conductor in an electric field, polarizing it, will a temperature difference develop between the ends of the conductor? From my understanding, a voltage will develop across a conductor when it is placed in a electric field.

Thanks

Er.. no. A conductor, under electrostatic situation, is an equipotential body when placed in an electric field. You should not confuse a potential difference applied to a conductor (with a non-zero resistance) resulting in current flow, with the situation above.

Zz.

Related to Thermoelectric Effect in Polarized Conductors

1. What is the thermoelectric effect in polarized conductors?

The thermoelectric effect in polarized conductors refers to the phenomenon where a temperature gradient across a polarized material leads to the generation of an electric field.

2. How does the thermoelectric effect in polarized conductors work?

The thermoelectric effect in polarized conductors is based on the Seebeck effect, which is the principle that states a temperature gradient across a material can produce an electric current. In polarized conductors, this effect is enhanced due to the presence of polarization, which creates an additional electric field.

3. What are some applications of the thermoelectric effect in polarized conductors?

The thermoelectric effect in polarized conductors has several practical applications. It is used in thermocouples, which are devices that convert temperature differences into electrical signals. It is also utilized in thermoelectric generators, which can convert waste heat into electricity.

4. How is the thermoelectric effect in polarized conductors measured?

The thermoelectric effect in polarized conductors is measured using a thermocouple, which consists of two different conductors connected at two junctions. When one junction is heated and the other is cooled, a voltage is generated, which is proportional to the temperature difference between the two junctions.

5. What are some factors that affect the thermoelectric effect in polarized conductors?

The thermoelectric effect in polarized conductors can be affected by several factors, such as the type and composition of the polarized material, the temperature gradient, and the external electric field. The presence of impurities and defects in the material can also influence the strength of the effect.