Thermodynamics-work, heat, & internal energy

In summary, the given conversation involves a system undergoing thermodynamic processes and calculating the work, heat, and internal energy involved. The answers for parts a, b, and c are incorrect and for parts d and e, the correct answers are 11 cal and 18 cal, respectively. The change in internal energy is path independent and can be used to calculate the work and heat flows in different paths.
mbrmbrg
Thermodynamics--work, heat, & internal energy

Homework Statement

When a system is taken from state i to state f along path iaf in Figure 18-41, Q = 60 cal and W = 20 cal. Along path ibf, Q = 51 cal.

Fig. 18-41 (see attatched)

(a) What is W along path ibf?
(b) If W = -13 cal for the return path fi, what is Q for this path?
(c) If E_int,i = 7 cal, what is Eint,f?
(d) If E_int,b = 18 cal what is Q for path ib?
(e) For the same value of E_int,b, what is Q for path bf?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta E = Q - W[/tex] and is path independant

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) [tex]\Delta E_{iaf} = \Delta E_{ibf}[/tex]
hereon, iaf will be abbreviated a, and ibf will be abbreviated b.
[tex] Q_a - W_a = Q_b - W_b[/tex]
[tex] Q_a - W_b + Q_b = -W_b [/tex]
[tex] 60-20+51=-W_b=91[/tex]
So W_b = -91 cal. Wrong. And yes the problem wants the answer in calories.
On the chance that they're giving work performed on the system rather than work performed by the system, I changed Q-W to Q+W, and got that W_b=29 cal, which is still wrong.

I used the same exact reasoning for part b (and got it wrong).

I got part C correct [47 cal] using the fact that DeltaE is path independent, and Delta E = final energy - initial energy.

Parts d and e I just have no idea where to begin. So I guessed 18 cal for both. Surprise! Both wrong...

Attachments

• 18_10.gif
    18_10.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 802
Physics news on Phys.org
mbrmbrg said:

Homework Statement

When a system is taken from state i to state f along path iaf in Figure 18-41, Q = 60 cal and W = 20 cal. Along path ibf, Q = 51 cal.

Fig. 18-41 (see attatched)

(a) What is W along path ibf?
(b) If W = -13 cal for the return path fi, what is Q for this path?
(c) If E_int,i = 7 cal, what is Eint,f?
(d) If E_int,b = 18 cal what is Q for path ib?
(e) For the same value of E_int,b, what is Q for path bf?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta E = Q - W[/tex] and is path independant

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) [tex]\Delta E_{iaf} = \Delta E_{ibf}[/tex]
hereon, iaf will be abbreviated a, and ibf will be abbreviated b.
[tex] Q_a - W_a = Q_b - W_b[/tex]
[tex] Q_a - W_b + Q_b = -W_b [/tex]
[tex] 60-20+51=-W_b=91[/tex]
So W_b = -91 cal. Wrong. And yes the problem wants the answer in calories.
On the chance that they're giving work performed on the system rather than work performed by the system, I changed Q-W to Q+W, and got that W_b=29 cal, which is still wrong.

I used the same exact reasoning for part b (and got it wrong).

I got part C correct [47 cal] using the fact that DeltaE is path independent, and Delta E = final energy - initial energy.

Parts d and e I just have no idea where to begin. So I guessed 18 cal for both. Surprise! Both wrong...

a) First of all, I would recommend that you use U instead of E. W and U are both forms of energy, as is heat flow: Q). Singling out internal energy as E suggests that Q and W are something other than energy, which is not true.

dQ = dU + dW (where dW is the work done by the gas: PdV)

We know from the data given that the area under the path from a to f (dW, the work done by the gas in following the iaf path) is 20. We also know that this required a heat flow, dQ, into the gas of 60. So the change in internal energy, dU from i to f is 40, as you appear to have found.

Since, as you correctly stated, internal energy path independent, we know that following ibf, the change in U is the same: 40. So work done is just dQ - dU, where dQ is now the heat flow into the gas following ibf (51): dW = dQ - dU = 51-40 = 11 Cal.

I think you will see that in your algebra you just got a sign wrong.

b) the same reasoning as above applies to b).

c) just add the change in U to Ui

d) what is the change in U from i to b? You already know the work done (area under the graph from i to b). So you can get dQ.

e) Hint: Is there any work done in going from b to f (what is the area under the graph from b to f)?

AM

Last edited:

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I am a scientist and I would be happy to provide a response to this content.

Firstly, it is important to note that thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, and internal energy in a system. It is governed by the laws of thermodynamics, which are fundamental principles that describe the behavior of energy in a system.

In this problem, we are dealing with a system that has undergone changes along two different paths, iaf and ibf. Along path iaf, the system has gained 60 cal of heat (Q = 60 cal) and has done 20 cal of work (W = 20 cal). Along path ibf, the system has gained 51 cal of heat (Q = 51 cal).

(a) To find the work along path ibf, we can use the fact that the change in internal energy (\Delta E) is the same for both paths. This is because \Delta E is a path-independent quantity. Therefore, we can write the following equation:

\Delta E_{iaf} = \Delta E_{ibf}

Since we know that \Delta E = Q - W, we can substitute in the values we know for path iaf:

\Delta E_{iaf} = Q_{iaf} - W_{iaf} = 60 cal - 20 cal = 40 cal

Now, we can solve for the work along path ibf:

\Delta E_{ibf} = Q_{ibf} - W_{ibf} = 40 cal

Therefore, W_{ibf} = -40 cal. This means that 40 cal of work is performed on the system along path ibf.

(b) To find Q for the return path fi, we can use the fact that work is path-independent, so the value of work remains the same regardless of the path taken. Therefore, we can write the following equation:

\Delta E_{iaf} = \Delta E_{fi}

Substituting in the known values for \Delta E_{iaf} and W_{iaf}, we get:

40 cal = Q_{fi} + 20 cal

Solving for Q_{fi}, we get Q_{fi} = 20 cal. This means that the system gains 20 cal of heat along path fi.

(c) To find the final internal energy, we can use the same

Related to Thermodynamics-work, heat, & internal energy

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, work, and energy. It studies how these factors affect the behavior of matter and the physical properties of systems.

2. What is work in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another through the application of a force. It can be in the form of mechanical work, electrical work, or other types of work.

3. What is heat in thermodynamics?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one system to another due to a temperature difference. It can be measured in terms of the amount of energy transferred or the change in temperature.

4. What is internal energy in thermodynamics?

Internal energy is the total energy of a system, including the potential and kinetic energies of its particles. It is a state function, meaning it depends only on the current state of the system and not on how it got there.

5. How are work, heat, and internal energy related?

In thermodynamics, the first law states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the sum of the work done on the system and the heat transferred to the system. This means that work, heat, and internal energy are all interconnected and can be converted from one form to another.