Thermodynamics & Thermal Energy

In summary, the problem involves finding the thermal energy of a room that contains air at 20 degrees Celsius. The solution involves using the equation E(thermal)= 5/2NkbT= 5/2nRT and finding the number of moles using the equation PV=nRT. The pressure can be assumed to be atmospheric and the temperature can be converted to Kelvins. This will give the total internal energy of the air in the room.
dals2002
(SOLVED)Thermodynamics & Thermal Energy

Homework Statement

a 6.0m X 8m X 3m room contains air at 20 Degrees Celcius

Homework Equations

What is the room's thermal energy

The Attempt at a Solution

now i know that oxygen is a diatomic atom so i used

E(thermal)= 5/2 NkbT= 5/2 nRT

i tried to find the amount of moles by doing pv=nrt -> 5/2 pv=5/2 nRT but i don't know either the pressure exerted neither the number of moles

so i was think to find pV i could use pV= 2/3N*[tex](\epsilon)[/tex](Average Translational kinetic energy)
where [tex](\epsilon)[/tex]= 3/2 KbT

so i have one question would it work like that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
any info or help is appreciated, anything cause i have no idea if that process is right

I am not sure, but I believe you could find n by using the volume of the room and the fact that it is at 20 Celsius.

That is since density=mass/volume.

I am just guessing though.

RW

dals2002 said:

Homework Statement

a 6.0m X 8m X 3m room contains air at 20 Degrees Celcius

Homework Equations

What is the room's thermal energy

The Attempt at a Solution

now i know that oxygen is a diatomic atom so i used

E(thermal)= 5/2 NkbT= 5/2 nRT

i tried to find the amount of moles by doing pv=nrt -> 5/2 pv=5/2 nRT but i don't know either the pressure exerted neither the number of moles

so i was think to find pV i could use pV= 2/3N*[tex](\epsilon)[/tex](Average Translational kinetic energy)
where [tex](\epsilon)[/tex]= 3/2 KbT

so i have one question would it work like that?

Use n = PV/RT to find the number of moles. Then use:

[tex]U = \frac{5}{2}nRT[/tex] where T = temperature in Kelvins, to find the total internal energy of the air.

This, of course, assumes it is a perfect ideal gas so that the heat capacity of the air is 5R/2 at all temperatures which is not true.

AM

Last edited:
yeah i took a look at that but because the temperature is higher than STP i don't know density or mass

dals2002 said:
yeah i took a look at that but because the temperature is higher than STP i don't know density or mass
You are supposed to assume that it is at atmospheric pressure. It is a room in a building, not a sealed chamber.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
You are supposed to assume that it is at atmospheric pressure. It is a room in a building, not a sealed chamber.

AM

WOW thanks this really helped me i didn't knew that the temperature didn't affect the atmospheric pressure, i solved it thanks

Related to Thermodynamics & Thermal Energy

What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, temperature, energy, and other properties of matter.

What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the energy that comes from heat. It is the total kinetic energy of the particles in a substance, including both their random motion and their potential energy.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time. In other words, natural processes tend to move towards a state of increasing disorder.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy between two objects due to a difference in temperature. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.