Thermodynamics textbook recommendations

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a thermodynamics book. Some suggestions include "Thermal Physics" by Schroeder for a physics perspective and "Molecular Driving Forces" by Dill and Bromberg for a chemical perspective. "Chemical thermodynamics" by Leonard K Nash is also recommended for a basic understanding of thermodynamics. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering both physics and engineering perspectives when choosing a book.
Fahlin Racing
Right now I have been finally thinking on buying a thermodynamics book, however I don't know which, preferably beginning then progress to the meat and potatoes etc. like a normal schedule. Any titles you guys/gals would suggest me to invest in?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the past I have downloaded the Potto.org gas dynamics and fluid mechanics, I should get back to reading those again, not sure if they have this subject in there or not. Any ways, thanks to anyone who replies.

"Thermal Physics" by Schroeder is fairly good, and it is widely used in thermal physics courses at universities. It covers a combination of thermodynamics and statistics mechanics, and so is good if you want to come at this from a physics point of view, and maybe not so good if you want to look at things strictly form an engineering point of view.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201380277/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
What about both physics and an engineering view? I am thinking the two are different in the paths they take, the way you replied. Thank you for the link George. The price isn't too bad either.

For me, the third time was the charm, with Molecular Driving Forces, by Dill and Bromberg. 2nd ed.

'Chemical thermodynamics' by Leonard K Nash is an excellent book to learn basics of thermodynamics (TD). If you are an Engg student, then you can master TD by studying the first half Nash and then go to any Engg TD book, you will have no difficulty in following that book.
Nash is a small book and hardly taxes your time.
Good Luck!

Related to Thermodynamics textbook recommendations

1. Which thermodynamics textbook is best for beginners?

It ultimately depends on your background and level of understanding, but some popular options for beginners include "Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics" by J.M. Smith, "Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Cengel and Boles, and "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Moran et al.

2. What are some advanced thermodynamics textbooks for graduate-level study?

For advanced thermodynamics study, some recommended textbooks include "Thermodynamics" by Callen, "Thermodynamics: Concepts and Applications" by turns, and "Thermodynamics: Principles and Applications" by Kroos.

3. Are there any online resources for learning thermodynamics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning thermodynamics, including lecture notes, video lectures, and practice problems. Some popular options include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and YouTube channels such as "Thermodynamics Made Simple" and "Crash Course Engineering."

4. What are some thermodynamics textbooks with real-world applications?

"Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach" by Cengel and Boles, "Thermodynamics: Fundamentals and Applications" by Borgnakke and Sonntag, and "Thermodynamics: Principles and Applications" by Kroos all have a strong emphasis on real-world applications and examples.

5. Which thermodynamics textbook is best for self-study?

Again, this depends on your background and learning style. Some textbooks that are commonly recommended for self-study include "Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics" by J.M. Smith, "Thermodynamics for Dummies" by Mike Pauken, and "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" by Moran et al.