Thermodynamics: T-S slope at constant volume

In summary, the slope of an isochoric process in a T-S diagram is T/Cv, where T is the temperature and Cv is the heat capacity at constant volume. This can be shown by setting the equations dQ = T * dS and dQ = Cv * dT equal to each other and rearranging to get T/Cv = dT/dS, which describes the slope of the line. For isochoric processes, the energy change is in the form of heat transfer q, and using the differential energy equation dU = q = T * dS, we can show that dQ = Cv * dT.
2DGamer
1. Prove that the slope of an isochoric process in a T-S diagram is T/Cv where T is the temperature and Cv is the heat capacity at constant volume

2. dQ = T * dS (I understand this)
dQ = Cv * dT for isochoric processes (I don't understand this)

3. Since the two equations share dQ I set them equal to each other:
Cv * dT = T * dS
Then I just rewrote the equation as:
T/Cv = dT/dS
And dT/dS describes the slope of the line which is T/Cv
My main problem is that I don't understand why dQ = Cv*dT. The book just gave it to us, but I'm thinking that I need to be able to derive it or the problem is just too easy.

Physics news on Phys.org
2DGamer said:
dQ = Cv * dT for isochoric processes (I don't understand this)

For isochoric (constant-volume, [itex]dV=0[/itex]) processes, no work is done (work being [itex]P\,dV[/itex]), so any energy change [itex]dU[/itex] in the system must be in the form of heat transfer [itex]q[/itex]. Additionally, we can use the differential energy equation

[tex]dU(=q)=T\,dS-P\,dV=T\,dS=T\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_V\,dT=C_V\,dT[/tex]

which uses the definition of [itex]C_V[/itex]. Does this make sense?

Related to Thermodynamics: T-S slope at constant volume

1. What is the T-S slope at constant volume?

The T-S slope at constant volume, also known as the isochoric slope, is a measure of the change in temperature with respect to entropy at a constant volume. It is represented by the symbol (dT/dS)V and is used in thermodynamics to analyze the behavior of a system.

2. How is the T-S slope at constant volume calculated?

The T-S slope at constant volume is calculated by taking the derivative of the temperature with respect to entropy at a constant volume. This can be done using the equation (dT/dS)V = (Cv/T), where Cv is the heat capacity at constant volume and T is the temperature.

3. What does a positive T-S slope at constant volume indicate?

A positive T-S slope at constant volume indicates that as the entropy of a system increases, the temperature also increases at a constant volume. This means that the system is absorbing heat and its internal energy is increasing.

4. What does a negative T-S slope at constant volume indicate?

A negative T-S slope at constant volume indicates that as the entropy of a system increases, the temperature decreases at a constant volume. This means that the system is losing heat and its internal energy is decreasing.

5. Why is the T-S slope at constant volume important in thermodynamics?

The T-S slope at constant volume is important in thermodynamics because it helps us understand the behavior of a system at a constant volume. It can be used to determine the heat capacity of a substance and to analyze processes such as adiabatic and isentropic processes. It also plays a key role in the development of thermodynamic equations and principles.