Thermodynamics ( steam tables ) isentropic

In summary, the power output of an adiabatic steam turbine is 5 MW and it operates as a steady flow device with isentropic expansion. The dryness fraction, x, at the exit from the turbine is 0.88 and the work output per unit mass of steam flowing through the device can be calculated using the given equations and values from steam tables. The temperature at the turbine exit is not as important as the quality, which should be at least 90% to prevent erosion of the turbine blades.
steve2510

Homework Statement

The power output of an adiabatic steam turbine is 5 MW. If the device can be assumed
to operate as a steady flow device with isentropic expansion, determine the
following:
i) The dryness fraction, x, at the exit from the turbine;
ii) The work output per unit mass of steam flowing through the device;

Intital state : 20 BAR, 400°C C=50M/S Z=10M
Final State : 16 KPA, c = 180m/s z = 6m

Homework Equations

Q+W+h1+c12/2 + z1g = H2+c22/2 + z2g

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked up the following in steam tables
@20 Bar
Ts= 212.4
vg=0.1511
hg=3248

@16kpa
Ts = 55.3
Hf = 232
hfg= 2369

So if its dry i know that h=hf + xhfg
Im confused is it hasnt given a value of γ so I'm not sure if i am supposed to use the fact that:
(P2/P1)γ-1/γ = T2/T1
If i do use that and take a value of gamma to be 1.4 i get :
(16x10^3/2x10^6)^2/7 = T2/T1 Thefore T2= 169.4 ° K but that's actually below 0°C, so surely this isn't correct. Could anyone point me int he right direction please

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm puzzled about the values of c and z given in the OP for the initial and final states. Where did these come from? It is highly unusual for the steam entering or leaving a turbine to have such high velocities due to erosion of the internal surfaces of the piping.

Hm didn't notice the large numbers, its just a past exam question so i guess its Made up. I just don't believes there's enough Information to find X, I am puzzled.

For the final state, you are going to need hg in order to work out the quality. (I don't know which steam tables you are using; there are several online apps which will give quality along with the other thermo properties.)

I don't know why you are using gamma: you are supposed to use the steam tables to find the point where p = 16 kpa and the entropy is the same as the initial state. Gamma for steam, BTW, is taken to be 1.33, but in your case, the expansion of steam thru the turbine takes you across the saturation line, and you have a significant quantity of moisture mixed in with the vapor, so I don't think the ideal gas law is a valid approach to calculating final temp.

Thanks, well I'm using "Thermodynamic and Transport Properties of Fluids"
So i can use the entropy of the system i guess.
Am i right in saying for a isentropic process dS=0
Therefore;
@ 400c, 20 bar S=7.126
@ 16KPA Sf= 0.772 Sfg= 7.213
So 7.126 = 0.772 + x7.213
X= 0.88
I think I'm actually okay on the rest of the question just that bit was really confusing me, thanks very much.

Lastly Does X relate in any way to temperature, say if you no how dry/wet the vapour is can you find temperature?

I'm not aware of any relationship. In Rankine cycle calculations, the temperature at the turbine exit is not as important as the quality. Generally, the quality of the steam at the turbine exit should not be lower than about 90%, as the moisture will cause the turbine blades to erode

Related to Thermodynamics ( steam tables ) isentropic

1. What is thermodynamics and how does it relate to steam tables?

Thermodynamics is the study of energy and its transformations. Steam tables are a tool used in thermodynamics to calculate properties of water and steam under different conditions, such as temperature and pressure.

2. What is an isentropic process?

An isentropic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no change in entropy. This means that there is no heat transfer or work done on the system, and the process is reversible.

3. How are steam tables used in engineering applications?

Steam tables are commonly used in engineering applications, particularly in the design and operation of power plants and steam turbines. They are also used in refrigeration and air conditioning systems, as well as in chemical and process industries.

4. What are some properties that can be found in steam tables?

Steam tables provide information on properties such as specific volume, enthalpy, entropy, and quality (or dryness fraction) of water and steam. These properties are important in determining the behavior and efficiency of steam in various processes.

5. How do you read values from a steam table?

To read values from a steam table, you need to know the specific conditions of the system, such as temperature and pressure. Then, you can find the corresponding values for the desired property by locating the intersection of the appropriate temperature and pressure columns in the table.