Thermodynamics, saturated Pressure and temperature

In summary: Basically, there is a mathematical relationship between them and they change with temperature. The Phase Rule is a more specific term for it.
kidsasd987
I wonder why we can find temperature (or pressure )when the other property value is given.Lets say we have a rigid tank, which contains 50Kg of water at 90 degree celsius.
If we look up the thermodynamics table, we can find the saturation pressure 70.14 kpa and definite liquid and gas specific volume.

But why should it be? why knowing the state(temp or pressure) of one property determines the state of the other property and specific volumes?

Is there any formula related to this?

Science news on Phys.org
I wonder why we can find temperature (or pressure )when the other property value is given.
There is one other thing you need to know: that the stuff is at thermodynamic equilibrium.

Basically it has to do with distribution of energy over the molecules. If we pick temperature as independent variable, the energy is distributed in such a way that the average kinetic energy of the molecules causes a specific pressure. Things are connected in the equation of state of the mateerial (simplest case: ideal gas law pV = nRT).

BvU said:
There is one other thing you need to know: that the stuff is at thermodynamic equilibrium.

Basically it has to do with distribution of energy over the molecules. If we pick temperature as independent variable, the energy is distributed in such a way that the average kinetic energy of the molecules causes a specific pressure. Things are connected in the equation of state of the mateerial (simplest case: ideal gas law pV = nRT).

Thanks. it makes sense. so if we change the volume of the rigid tank. it will lower the pressure the tank, and also temperature because energy will be dispersed over extra space. If we heat up the rigid body and let the temperature rise to 90 degree celsius, then pressure will accordingly go up and result in the consistent pressure temperature specific volume relation.

Can I understand this as equal distribution of energy over the space?

I'd say yes.

Note that things can become complicated easily: e.g. when there is liquid and vapour in the tank and you increase the volume, then a) the gas does pV work and b) liquid will evaporate.

BvU said:
I'd say yes.

Note that things can become complicated easily: e.g. when there is liquid and vapour in the tank and you increase the volume, then a) the gas does pV work and b) liquid will evaporate.
Thanks!

kidsasd987 said:
Thanks!
Have you ever heard of the Phase Rule? If so, please state it.

Chestermiller said:
Have you ever heard of the Phase Rule? If so, please state it.

hmm unfortunately no. I will do some reading about phase Rules. I appreciate you for telling me a key word. I actually tried to figure out how we get a phase diagram and what's the relationships between Pressure Volume and temperature.

Related to Thermodynamics, saturated Pressure and temperature

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, and energy. It studies how energy is converted from one form to another and how it affects the behavior of matter.

2. What is saturated pressure?

Saturated pressure is the pressure at which a substance exists as a liquid and a gas in equilibrium. It is the maximum pressure that a substance can have at a given temperature before it starts to condense into a liquid.

3. How is saturated pressure related to temperature?

Saturated pressure and temperature are directly related. As the temperature of a substance increases, its saturated pressure also increases. This is because as the temperature rises, the substance's molecules have more energy and can escape into the gas phase more easily, increasing the pressure.

4. What is the significance of thermodynamics in everyday life?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in our everyday lives as it is the basis for many technological advancements, such as refrigeration, engines, and power plants. It also helps us understand the behavior of substances and their transformations, such as melting, boiling, and freezing.

5. How does thermodynamics apply to chemical reactions?

Thermodynamics is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of chemical reactions. It helps us determine the feasibility and direction of a reaction based on the enthalpy and entropy changes. It also allows us to calculate the amount of energy released or absorbed during a reaction.