Thermodynamics: Relationship between deltaX, partialX, dx

In summary: The point is that ##dU/dT## is a single number, while ##\partial U/\partial T## is a function of T and V. You could write ##\partial U/\partial T|_V##, to indicate that V is held constant, but that's wordy.
ybhathena

Homework Statement

I am trying to understand the the following derivation:

[itex] Cv = (qv/ΔT) = (ΔU/ΔT) \\

Cv = (∂U/∂T)v \\

dU = CvdT [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So here is what I understand so far. I understand that heat transfer q and temperature T are related by a direct proportionality constant C. I also understand that change in internal energy is equal to heat transfer. What I don't understand is how the book goes from change in deltaU and deltaT to partial derivative of U with respect to T while volume is constant (i.e. how did they go from line 1 to line 2).

(For small deltaT U is a linear function of T, deltaU = CvdeltaT)

I phrased my question as "Relationship between deltax, partialX and dx" because I suspect my confusion lies in not understanding what the relationship is between these different symbols.

Thank you very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative is just the limit as the deltas tend to zero. Since we have Cv on the left, we are necessarily discussing change in temperature with volume constant (no?).
Would you be more confortable if it said Cv=(qv/ΔT)|v=(ΔU/ΔT)|v?

For single phase pure materials in general, internal energy U is a function of both temperature T and specific volume V. So U = U(T,V). But, for incompressible solids and liquids, U is a function only of T, so U = U(T). And for ideal gases, internal energy is insensitive to specific volume, so here again, U=U(T). But, for an ideal gas, if the volume of the gas changes (i.e., the gas does work), q is not equal to ΔU; yet ΔU still equals ##C_vΔT##. So, in the case of an ideal gas, the only reason it is still called ##C_v## is that, if we want to measure Cv using the amount of heat transferred q, we need to do it at constant volume.

In freshman physics we were taught that C is defined by q = CΔT. But now, in thermodynamics, we learn that q is path dependent (i.e., varies with different process paths between the same two equilibrium states of a system), while C is supposed to be a physical property of the material that depends only on state and not path. So we conclude that a more advanced definition of heat capacity is required. That definition, which is still consistent with what we learned in freshman physics for solids and liquids, is
$$C_v=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_V$$
So, in general,
$$dU=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_VdT+\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_TdV=C_vdT+\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_TdV$$
For ideal gases, and for incompressible solids and liquids, the volume-dependent terms are zero.

haruspex said:
The derivative is just the limit as the deltas tend to zero. Since we have Cv on the left, we are necessarily discussing change in temperature with volume constant (no?).
Would you be more confortable if it said Cv=(qv/ΔT)|v=(ΔU/ΔT)|v?

But then what is the point of invoking partial derivatives.

ybhathena said:
But then what is the point of invoking partial derivatives.
Since V is taken as constant, and a varying V would affect U, it is more exact to write it as a partial derivative. More generally, V and T might both vary, perhaps according to some functional relationship. In that case, dU/dT would have to take into account the effect of the varying V, but the partial derivative does not.

haruspex said:
Since V is taken as constant, and a varying V would affect U, it is more exact to write it as a partial derivative. More generally, V and T might both vary, perhaps according to some functional relationship. In that case, dU/dT would have to take into account the effect of the varying V, but the partial derivative does not.

I'm sorry, I still don't understand this part: Since V is taken as constant, and a varying V would affect U, it is more exact to write it as a partial derivative.

ybhathena said:
I'm sorry, I still don't understand this part: Since V is taken as constant, and a varying V would affect U, it is more exact to write it as a partial derivative.
In general, U is a function of both V and T. The equation is assuming V is held constant, so it is more accurate to write it as a partial derivative with respect to T. You could write it as dU/dT, provided you add the rider that V is to be held constant. Writing it as a partial avoids the need to mention that.

haruspex said:
In general, U is a function of both V and T. The equation is assuming V is held constant, so it is more accurate to write it as a partial derivative with respect to T. You could write it as dU/dT, provided you add the rider that V is to be held constant. Writing it as a partial avoids the need to mention that.

That makes sense thank you! But why did we have to rewrite the deltas as partial derivatives? You said this earlier: The derivative is just the limit as the deltas tend to zero. Does that mean that partialderivative U/ partialderivative T is the same as saying the value difference between the two internal energies becomes very small divided by the the value difference between the two temperatures becomes very small?

ybhathena said:
That makes sense thank you! But why did we have to rewrite the deltas as partial derivatives? You said this earlier: The derivative is just the limit as the deltas tend to zero. Does that mean that partialderivative U/ partialderivative T is the same as saying the value difference between the two internal energies becomes very small divided by the the value difference between the two temperatures becomes very small?
Yes, assuming you mean "the limit of (the value difference between the two internal energies) divided by (the value difference between the two temperatures), as the difference in temperatures becomes very small"

Related to Thermodynamics: Relationship between deltaX, partialX, dx

1. What is the concept of "Thermodynamics"?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of energy and its transformation from one form to another, as well as the relationship between heat, work, temperature, and energy.

2. What is the relationship between deltaX, partialX, and dx in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, deltaX represents an infinitesimal change in a variable, while partialX represents the partial derivative of a function with respect to a specific variable. On the other hand, dx is used to represent an infinitesimal change in a function. All three are related through the fundamental equation of thermodynamics, which expresses the relationship between heat, work, and internal energy.

3. How do these concepts relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that in any energy transfer or conversion, some energy will be lost as heat. The relationship between deltaX, partialX, and dx helps us understand and apply these laws in thermodynamic processes.

4. Can you give an example of how these concepts are used in real-life applications?

One example is the study of heat transfer in a car engine. The first law of thermodynamics is used to calculate the work done by the engine, while the second law is applied to understand and improve engine efficiency. The relationship between deltaX, partialX, and dx is used to analyze and optimize the thermodynamic processes involved in the engine's operation.

5. Why is it important to understand the relationship between deltaX, partialX, and dx in thermodynamics?

Understanding these concepts is crucial for accurately predicting and analyzing the behavior of thermodynamic systems. It allows us to apply the laws of thermodynamics to real-world scenarios and make informed decisions about energy usage and efficiency. Additionally, this understanding is essential for advancements in various fields, such as energy production, engineering, and environmental science.